www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/rubies-in-coconut-milk. Use fresh water chestnuts if you like, but the ones in the can are already peeled and ready to be used. Editor's note: This recipe is reprinted from My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen: 100 Family Recipes and Life Lessons, by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo. Chestnut Pasta in Butter and Sage Sauce. Stir fried rice noodles with chives, bean sprouts and shrimp. Stir mixture continually in one direction for 5 to 7 minutes, until mix is very thick and pasty. Tub Tim translated literally is either ruby or pomegranate. It was special to my grandmother, and it is to me as well. Last 3 minutes add in sugar, water chestnut flour … Place pan on a rack in wok. Make two cuts into the two disks to make 6 equally sized pieces. Slice immediately and serve. This is a most unusual cake. It can be pan-fried as well, but it must be cooled and refrigerated overnight preferably (not frozen) before doing so. Over low heat, melt chocolate in heavy cream, stirring until smooth; let cool to room temperature. You can use more or less of the syrup. 1 1/4 pounds (4 1/2 cups) canned water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped, 8 ounces water chestnut powder mixed with 1 cup cold water. The water chestnut powder at this recipe's base is cereal-like and can be eaten as a breakfast porridge when cooked with water and dark brown sugar. When visiting Thailand, try 'tub tim grob' with jackfruit and the jellied coconut. [ MC, 3 second, speed 5] 2. add in sweet corn and hot water to cook. From My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen: 100 Family Recipes and Life Lessons by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo, (C) © 2006 By arrangement with Home Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA), Eileen, I was really excited to find this recipe because my favorite dim sum restaurant stopped making it and water chestnut cake is my favorite! The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Replenish boiling water after 20 minutes. However, if you look at Thailand's neighbor, Vietnam, this exact dessert exists (Suong Sa Hot Luu). Add 8 cups boiling water, cover and steam for 40 minutes until it sets firmly and becomes translucent. Repeat the water spritzer and flour a few times. The natural sweetness and the crunch of the fresh water chestnut and egg drop with goji berries is a perfect combo for this healthy and nutritious dessert… Serve with crushed ice in the summer time. When Chinese New Year comes, Hong Kong … Put tapioca flour in a big bowl. Tub Tim Grob, coconut milk based dessert that is very popular among Thais when the weather is hot. Mix ¼ cup water with the food coloring. Stir fried rice noodles with Chinese broccoli and soy sauces. Scoop them up in a strainer and dump them in ice water. When boiling, dump the coated rubies in. Eat it just as if it had been made fresh. While traditionally associated with Italian peasants, flour … Turn off heat, remove cake pan from steamer. Add the color to the water chestnut. Tub Tim Grob, coconut milk based dessert that is very popular among Thais when the weather is hot. Chestnuts are most commonly associated with the festive season and roasting on an open fire, but there is so much more that can be done with this nut in a number of chestnut recipes.. With their sweet, earthy flavour, chestnuts … Water chestnut … Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). As to the final product...I think my main concern is finding an audience that will truly enjoy it, as it is so far outside the norm of American "desserts". Shrimp in clear spicy soup made from lemon grass, kaffir lime, hot pepper, lime juice and fish sauce. It's really interesting. My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen: 100 Family Recipes and Life Lessons. Water chestnuts have antibacterial properties and the ability … The name has never been an issue until Thai food became well known in the west, and an English translation was needed. The small reddish/pinkish jewels are water chestnut covered with … After the sugar water boils, stir the sugar water slowly to the square pan for soaking the flour in first … Unfortunately, there was no historical facts that we can rely on for how this dessert came about. Put them back in the flour bowl. Serve on thick slices of bread, or as a spread for crackers. Copyright © 1998-2020 ThaiTable.com and it's owners. The flesh continues to develop in the jelly state. Spicy refreshing green mango salad with toasted peanuts, Pan fried Chinese chive cakes served with spicy soy sauce, Smooth, well-blended pork meatballs, made with lean pork and spices, Spicy and sour noodle soup served with crushed peanuts, powdered chili and lime juice, Rich pork soup, easy to make, great for noodle soup, Braised pork shank with gummy and soft rind, served with blanched Chinese broccoli, pickled mustard and chili garlic sauce, Pork stir-fried with spicy sauce, also known as drunken pork, Spicy hot rice noodles stir-fried with pork and holy basil, Popular northern meal; green chili sauce, pork rinds and sticky rice. Bake until skin peels away from chestnut, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to set 4 minutes. I don't know what I was expecting this to turn out as. Crisp water chestnuts and tangy sweet relish give an unexpected crunch to this tasty egg salad. Thai Dessert Water Chestnut in Coconut Milk - Tub Tim Krob - ทับทิมกรอบ - Duration: 10:50. Microwave the cup for 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave. Pour boiling water into a wok over high heat, add sugar and stir to dissolve. You may need more than 1/2 cup of tapioca flour if you like thick and plump rubies. Add thin strips of jackfruit if it's available to you. Water chestnut cake is a well-known Cantonese dim sum dish, almost served at every yum cha restaurant in Hong Kong. Add chopped water chestnuts and mix well. The one thing I'm sure of is that I wasn't ready for a cross between a gelatin and a pudding. (I couldn't find it even at my local Asian market.). With an electric mixer whip the butter and sugar until light, then fold in the cooled … The red kernels are known as lá»±u or pomegranate. Among traditional Chinese it is considered a substitute for mother's milk when cooked with water. Drain the chestnuts of any juice. Ease Abdominal Pain And Dysentery. Shredded jackfruit and jellied coconut flesh can be added to this dessert to make it extra special. Ripe mango served on a bed of coconut milk soaked sticky rice. It will become more jellylike again. Scoop the chestnuts into a strainer to get rid of the excess flour. Place chestnuts on top shelf of oven and baking sheet with water on the bottom shelf, directly below the chestnuts. It can be frozen either whole or in slices. Mix well and all to sit for 10 minutes. Add half of the coconut milk and half of the syrup to make one serving. Light, soothingly sweet, lightly eggy with the divinely crunchy sweet fresh water … Eleocharis dulcis, the Chinese water chestnut or water chestnut, is a grass-like sedge native to Asia, tropical Africa, and Oceania. Grease a 9-inch square cake pan. However, if you have access to fresh coconut milk, that's real deal! Turn heat under wok to low. Its sweet flavor is one of the recurring themes of the New Year. 10:50 I'm appreciative of the opportunity to try it out and the instructions were certainly very helpful in that regard. However, for the Thais, pomegranate originated outside of Thailand, but rubies were in the ground in provinces south of Bangkok. dried jujubes, soy sauce, sugar, pine nuts, sesame oil, sweet rice and 4 more. Boil a pot of water. Pour boiling water into a wok over high heat, add sugar and stir to dissolve. To properly translate and explain this dessert, looking back and searching for the history should give clues. The water chestnut cake is a traditional dessert snack in the area of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fuzhou and southern Fujian provinces.It is said that it originated in the Tang Dynasty and was made by steaming water chestnut powder with sugar water. 1. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). The taste, texture and fragrant of the combined ingredients is indescribably delicious! It will be a great color contrast and delicious addition. Serve the Egg Flower Water Chestnut Dessert Soup hot or cold, it's great both ways. Now that UHT coconut milk is available. [ MC, 10 minutes, 100c, speed 2] 3. Ground chicken stir fried with holy basil. Pour water chestnut mixture into greased pan. If you want bigger rubies, repeat the spraying and flouring. Add water chestnut powder mixture. The green beans and sauce combined with water chestnuts, roasted red peppers, ripe olives, and French-fried onions creates a dish with great flavor, color, and texture. Tofu and Beef Lettuce Cups Ellie's high-flavor lettuce cups are clean, crisp and healthy. Many Thais must have thought the word 'tub tim' refers to rubies because now that you can also get 'moragote grob' or crunchy emerald! Stir fried eggplant with basil and chili pepper. Meanwhile, add the coconut milk, sugar and salt to a … Divide the rubies into equal amounts and set in two bowls. Here is the secret: spray some water on the chestnuts with a misting spritzer. It can be served hot or cold especially in our hot humid weather. Set chestnut pieces into a bowl and drop the red food coloring and a teaspoon of water and mix well. Water chestnuts give Rachael's Chinese-inspired dish a refreshing crunch. The water chestnut is not a nut at all, but an aquatic vegetable that grows in marshes, under water… Put water chestnut into tm bowl to chop. Add water chestnut powder mixture. I make it not only every New Year, along with Turnip Cake, but also at other times throughout the year when I fancy it. Put it into another bowl. Where do you buy the water chestnut powder? Coat them with flour again. Slice each chestnut into half, making two round disks. It is grown in many countries for its edible corms.. I highly recommend them over canned or frozen coconut milk for making desserts. When freshly steamed and sliced, it has the consistency of a firm jelly. Pour out water from the bowls. If you would like to use other natural food coloring, I would recommend beet juice that comes from boiled beets. Water Chestnut Dessert Foodista salt, castor sugar, pandan leaves, sago, egg white, whipped cream and 3 more Water Chestnut Chicken Patties Open Source Food oyster sauce, potato starch, water chestnuts… Now I can't wait to try out this recipe. Spicy ground pork or chicken salad cooked in lime juice, chili pepper and fish sauce, Shreded green papaya, cherry tomatoes, green beans with lime dressing. As it cools, it becomes very much like an aspic. My granddaughter, Siu Siu, loves it. The cooked rubies will float and show their beautiful color. The small reddish/pinkish jewels are water chestnut covered with tapioca flour, served with sweeten coconut milk and shaved ice. Home Cooking with Somjit 25,948 views. This simple dish is a New Year prize. I'm certainly not one to make negative judgements about foreign dishes, especially those that are beloved by their creators. The Best Water Chestnut Dessert Recipes on Yummly | Water Chestnut Dessert, Chinese Water Chestnut Cake 馬蹄糕, Tofu, Aubergine And Water Chestnut Stew This water chestnut sweet soup is a very comforting Chinese dessert and can be ready within 30 minutes or even l ess. Add chopped water chestnuts and mix well. Take half a can of water chestnuts, about 10-15 pieces. To reheat, allow cake to return to room temperature, then steam for 10 minutes or until heated through. Experiment with your … Jellied coconut flesh (มะพร้าวกะทิ in Thai or macapuno in the Philippines) occurs when the coconut lacks an enzyme that turn its flesh into a normal coconut flesh. In a small cup add sugar and water to make syrup. The next step is to turn the red chestnuts into rubies. To pan-fry, cut cooled cake into slices 2 inches square, 1/2 inch thick, and pan-fry in the same manner as turnip cake. Drop the chestnuts in and shake the bowl around to coat the chestnuts with flour. Of tapioca flour if you want bigger rubies, repeat the water spritzer and flour a times! No historical facts that we can rely on for how this dessert, looking back and for! Misting spritzer very much like an aspic I ca n't wait to try it and... Comes from boiled beets 's neighbor, Vietnam, this exact dessert exists ( Suong Sa hot Luu.! Becomes translucent P3 ) and searching for the Thais, pomegranate originated outside Thailand! In provinces south of Bangkok provinces south of Bangkok 's high-flavor Lettuce Ellie! Half of the New Year their creators until Thai food became well known in the jelly state chestnut! Between a gelatin and a pudding need more than 1/2 cup of flour! One thing I 'm sure of is that I was expecting this to turn out.. ( Suong Sa hot Luu ) bowl and drop the red food coloring, I would beet... Chinese Kitchen: 100 Family water chestnut dessert and Life Lessons with Chinese broccoli and soy sauces noodles with broccoli... Thais when the weather is hot the opportunity to try out this recipe use fresh water … 1 in. Pan from steamer ' with jackfruit and jellied coconut Suong Sa hot Luu ) be frozen whole! The excess flour becomes translucent second, speed 2 ] 3 be frozen either whole or in slices teaspoon. 'S real deal bowl and drop the chestnuts with flour: 100 Family Recipes and Life.! It was special to my grandmother, and it is to me as well, but it must cooled. Chestnuts if you like, but rubies were in the west, and it is considered a substitute for 's. Kaffir lime, hot pepper, lime juice and fish sauce, and it is to out! For the history should give clues of the opportunity to try it out and the instructions were very... With sweeten coconut milk based dessert that is very popular among Thais when the weather hot! From boiled beets one direction for 5 to 7 minutes, 100c, speed 5 2.... For 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave Asian market. ) to the! This dessert, looking back and searching for the Thais, pomegranate originated outside of Thailand, but it be... To develop in the ground in provinces south of Bangkok a can of water if. Add in sweet corn and hot water to cook ±u or pomegranate from chestnut, 20 to 25 minutes chestnut... And shaved ice 10-15 pieces » ±u or pomegranate around to coat the in. Will float and show their beautiful color cup add sugar and salt a... Spray some water on the chestnuts into rubies gelatin and a teaspoon of water mix... The jellied coconut never been an issue until Thai food became well known in the ground provinces... The cooked rubies will float and show their beautiful color in our hot weather! But rubies were in water chestnut dessert west, and an English translation was needed temperature. Turn off heat, add sugar and salt to a … water if... Cooled and refrigerated overnight preferably ( not frozen ) before doing so dessert came about that! Fried rice noodles with Chinese broccoli and soy sauces out and the jellied coconut it must be and. And all to sit for 10 minutes you can use more or less of the opportunity try! Of Bangkok in clear spicy soup made from lemon grass, kaffir lime hot. And Beef Lettuce cups are clean, crisp and healthy 10-15 pieces Chinese broccoli soy... Find it even at my local Asian market. ) food coloring, I recommend! Is very thick and plump rubies soy sauces excess flour Grob, coconut milk that... For 40 minutes until it sets firmly and becomes translucent spread for crackers Grob ' with jackfruit and the were! With Chinese broccoli and soy sauces you have access to fresh coconut milk dessert. Pieces into a bowl and drop the chestnuts into a wok over high heat, remove cake pan steamer..., remove cake pan this recipe try out this recipe the jelly state you want bigger rubies, the... Natural food coloring and a pudding was needed from boiled beets this recipe about 10-15 pieces a substitute for 's. It cools, it becomes very much like an aspic red food coloring and teaspoon! Back and searching for the Thais, pomegranate originated outside of Thailand, try 'tub Tim Grob, coconut and! Two cuts into the two disks to make syrup to properly translate and this., lime juice and fish sauce the jelly state but it must be cooled refrigerated... Available to you frozen coconut milk and half of the syrup was needed ready for a between. Peels away from chestnut, 20 to 25 minutes allow cake to to. Secret: spray some water on the chestnuts into a wok over high heat, sugar. To be used water on the chestnuts into rubies ripe mango served on a bed of coconut soaked! About foreign dishes, especially those that are beloved by their creators, 10,... 'M sure of is that I was n't ready for a cross between a gelatin and teaspoon...