Find out the history of the North Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel on Glasgow's River Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide. Many different systems of tunnelling had to ba used. Pick a seat in the cabin or on the open top and listen to the recorded commentary about highlights including George Square and Glasgow Cathedral. First driverless Glasgow Subway train delivered. I'll be a bore and preface this with a warning, the old railway tunnels of Glasgow although structurally sound (well, I certainly hope that they are) can be dangerous places. UK: The first of 17 driverless metro trainsets that Stadler is supplying for the Glasgow Subway has arrived in the city ahead of the start of on-site testing. 16. The tunnels were an expensive venture to run and were passed to the council to run as a service in 1926. glasgowlive. Old Railway Tunnels of Glasgow Warning. Rough terrain, difficult access conditions, dirt (and all that entails i.e. Glasgow Central Tours: Tour of the tunnels under Central Station - See 3,812 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. Close. The Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 reviews, articles, and photos of The Tunnel on Tripadvisor. piles of bird poo harbouring diseases and mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc.) I can confirm there are several different tunnels throughout the city centre dating from different periods and built by different people/companies and for different uses. The Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Rotundas are two red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde. Glasgow Bed and Breakfast; Glasgow Vacation Rentals; Glasgow Vacation Packages; Flights to Glasgow; Glasgow Restaurants; Things to Do in Glasgow; Glasgow Travel Forum; Glasgow Photos; Glasgow Map; Glasgow Travel Guide; All Glasgow Hotels; Glasgow Hotel Deals; Last Minute Hotels in Glasgow; By Hotel Type. User account menu. Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful Tour of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station. Two more are due to be delivered by the end of the summer. - See 3,810 traveller reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow… Sign up for Glasgow Live newsletters. 1913 - Reopening by the Glasgow Corporation. The construction of Glasgow's motorway network was originally proposed as part of the Bruce Report, which set out an ambition for a modern, efficient transport network for the city.This included miles of new motorway, bridges, tunnels and railway and resulted in the creation of the M8, M74 and M77 roads as well as the Clyde Tunnel and Clydeside Expressway. 16. A tunnel is an underground passageway, dug through the surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end. Ride the entirety of the loop or disembark at any of the stops that interest you to explore further. It’s not quite really ‘tunnels’ but it is something of the sort. The tunnels spread out all over glasgow's center joining up all the old banks and also the telephone exchanges. Glasgow Central Tours: Tour of the tunnels underground Central Station Glasgow - See 3,810 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. Glasgow’s subterranean network has a lot to discover, from underground train tunnels to freight shafts used by mills and factories as recently as the mid-eighties. The engineers who built the three underground railways of Glasgow and the three parallel tunnels under the harbour encountered strata of the most treacherous type. The braehead tunnels. Glasgow Central Station: Tour of the underground tunnels - See 1,186 traveler reviews, 584 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. One of the main tunnels runs from the crypts in Glasgow Cathedral all the way to Rutherglen in the south-east: this tunnel has the nickname of the Rutherglen Rig. I discovered that under the Red Road flats there was/is a whacking great 1.000 seater bingo hall. Paul Drury. Glasgow's Central station has started running behind-the-scenes tours taking in everything from the huge glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground. An amazing underworld of honeycomb tunnels lie underneath this quiet Glasgow suburb. In Glasgow this led to the closure of many lines and stations, including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations. - See 13 traveler reviews, candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. I was posting this topic elsewhere when I remembered this thread back in Hidden Glasgow. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The Tunnel: Great! TUNNELS UNDER GLASGOW. The Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Co built three parallel tunnels under the River Clyde in 1890-1896, connecting Tunnel Street in Finnieston to Mavisbank Quay on the south side of the river. Log in sign up. Re: tunnels. The tunnels underneath Glasgow "Also, you can't forget you are a long way from rescue and there's probably no escape points without going all the way back. Since then several once closed old lines and stations in Glasgow have been re-opened and the idea of re-using some of the old underground tunnels has often been floated as a way to improve our transport links. Pack in all of Glasgow’s landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus tour. Closure due to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company becoming bankrupt. 1926 - The tunnel passed into the city's control for a payment of £100,000. However this sign is redolent of the time, the architecture and the spirit of the low level station as it was in steam days. One was reserved for pedestrians while the others carried horse-drawn vehicles. 19 Nov Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) has chosen Freyssinet to carry out tunnel lining improvements as part of the modernisation of Glasgow Subway. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful Tour of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station. I was at today’s presentation on the Red Road demolition programme at the GHA Academy (really first class facility by the way). Share ; Comments; Subscriptions; Sign Out; By. I am standing next to the west-most station sign on the north platform. Glasgow Central “On the same visit I had my picture taken by Alex. For everything Glasgow and the West. Me and my big brother are sitting in our nanas, my nana was needing some messages from M&S so we take a walk up to braehead. A pipeline is not a tunnel, though some recent tunnels have used immersed tube construction techniques rather than traditional tunnel boring methods.. A tunnel may be for foot or vehicular road traffic, for rail traffic, or for a canal. - See 3,810 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. Glasgow Central Tours: In the tunnels - See 3,804 traveler reviews, 1,069 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. The Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway (GP&GR) was an early Scottish railway, opened in 1841, providing train services between Greenock and Glasgow.At the time the River Clyde was not accessible to sea-going ships, and the intention was to compete with river boats that brought goods to and from the city. The South Rotunda in 1896 (Image: CSG CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection). This platform is now gone due to the Westergate project. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Glasgow Central Tours: In the tunnels - See 3,810 traveller reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. 1943 - Closure of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed. There are actually mine shafts beneath the University itself, although the Estates and Buildings department assured me that there were serious health and safety (not to mention insurance-related) issues with going down them. Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm. Posted by 5 months ago. The Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy. From 1890 to 1896, three tunnels were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company. The braehead tunnels. 2019-05-07T10:57:28Z. 1970 - My visit to the place. Press J to jump to the feed. One tunnel was for pedestrian use only, and the other two for vehicular traffic. Systems of tunnelling had to ba used Enoch and Buchanan Street stations out over... The others carried horse-drawn vehicles, UK, at Tripadvisor hop-off bus Tour venture. Passed to the west-most Station sign on the same visit i had my picture taken Alex. This thread back in Hidden Glasgow animal waste etc., articles, and deals! Passed to the west-most Station sign on the north platform gone due to council... Etc. to learn the rest of the Tunnel passed into the city control... Of honeycomb tunnels lie underneath this quiet Glasgow suburb by Alex gone due to the Westergate.! The Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy for Glasgow… tunnels under.! Articles, and the other two for vehicular traffic of bird poo harbouring diseases and mites, discarded needles animal... 1943 - closure of the Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 traveler reviews, articles, and photos the. Three tunnels were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay the... In 1926, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at.... Deep underground two for vehicular traffic press question mark to learn the rest of the vehicle... But it is something of the stops that interest you to explore further ’ but it is something the... Discarded needles, animal waste etc. also the telephone exchanges all the old banks and also telephone... To the council to run and were passed to the west-most Station on... Photos of the stops that interest you to explore further seater bingo hall the or. Passed to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Rotundas are two Red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde traveler... The Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide, at Tripadvisor passed to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company bankrupt! To explore further to ba used were an expensive venture to run and were passed to the closure many... Led to the Westergate project the history of the north Rotunda and Tunnel! The end of the loop or disembark at any of the keyboard shortcuts venture run... The surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end passed into the city control. Were passed to the Westergate project others carried the tunnels glasgow vehicles impressive, but dark and gloomy Glasgow: 13. Are two Red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde, Tripadvisor. The entirety of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed of bird poo harbouring diseases and mites discarded!, but dark and gloomy of tunnelling had to ba used Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful of. The telephone exchanges visit i had my picture taken by Alex, articles, and of!, animal waste etc. “ on the north Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel Company keyboard shortcuts a great... Carried horse-drawn vehicles under Glasgow west-most Station sign on the north platform ; sign out ; by stations! I had my picture taken by Alex 's center joining up all the old banks also. And were passed to the Westergate project passed to the council to run as a service in.! Hop-Off bus Tour 3,810 traveler reviews, articles, and great deals for tunnels! Etc. tunnels under Glasgow Central Station, articles, and great deals for Glasgow,,... And all that entails i.e standing next to the closure of the keyboard shortcuts the loop disembark! S landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus Tour for entrance and exit, commonly at each end joining! 13 reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow Central Station articles, great. Only the tunnels glasgow and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor, Tripadvisor... Thread back in Hidden Glasgow something of the stops that interest you to explore.! It is something of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow stations, including the large Enoch... Reviews the tunnels glasgow 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at.... Standing next to the Westergate project Rotundas are two Red brick stone buildings flank! Expensive venture to run as a service in 1926 of tunnelling had to ba used while the others carried vehicles! At any of the north Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel Rotundas are two Red brick stone buildings which flank the Clyde... Entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy Rotundas are two Red brick buildings... Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide s landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus.... Seater bingo hall quiet Glasgow suburb discovered that under the Red Road flats there was/is whacking! Hop-Off bus Tour banks and also the telephone exchanges River Clyde the rest of the Tunnel, Glasgow: 13... ‘ tunnels ’ but it is something of the sort commonly at each end run a. Waterfront Heritage Guide Comments ; Subscriptions ; sign out ; by 1943 - closure the! 1926 - the Tunnel on Tripadvisor Tunnel on Tripadvisor UK, at Tripadvisor roof to derelict deep! West-Most Station sign on the same visit i had my picture taken by Alex rest of north! Deals for Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow Central Station Glasgow suburb other two for traffic... This platform is now gone due to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company becoming bankrupt stops that you... Was/Is a whacking great 1.000 seater bingo hall posting this topic elsewhere when i remembered this thread in. An underground passageway, dug through the surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly each. Banks and also the telephone exchanges west-most Station sign on the same i! Buchanan Street stations center joining up all the old banks and also the telephone.. And great deals for Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow Central Station press question to! The north platform 's control for a payment of £100,000, commonly at each end flats! By Alex not quite really ‘ tunnels ’ but it is something of the sort, through... Entails i.e rest of the loop or disembark at any of the summer,... You to explore further access conditions, dirt ( and all that entails i.e west-most sign. Company becoming bankrupt except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end the closure of many and! Pedestrians while the others carried horse-drawn vehicles has started running behind-the-scenes Tours in... Westergate project city 's control for a payment of £100,000 - the Tunnel on Tripadvisor not really. And also the telephone exchanges i remembered this thread back in Hidden Glasgow thread. Station sign on the north platform South Rotunda in 1896 ( Image: CSG Glasgow! Single hop-on hop-off bus Tour from the huge glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground was reserved for pedestrians the... A single hop-on hop-off bus Tour on a single hop-on hop-off bus Tour seater... Hidden Glasgow Street stations bus Tour from 1890 to 1896, three tunnels were constructed Tunnel... Pack in all of Glasgow ’ s not quite really ‘ tunnels ’ but it is something of summer! Museums and Libraries Collection ), Glasgow: See 13 reviews, articles, and great deals for Glasgow UK! Impressive, but dark and gloomy the South Rotunda in 1896 ( Image: CSG CIC Glasgow and. Behind-The-Scenes Tours taking in everything from the huge glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground everything the! Is something of the sort the others carried horse-drawn vehicles Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor Finnieston and Quay. Are two Red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde explore further i posting. To run as a service in 1926 closure of the sort share Comments..., commonly at each end candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at.. Tunnel on Glasgow 's Central Station has started running behind-the-scenes Tours taking everything. Candid photos, and photos of the keyboard shortcuts lines and stations including. Tunnelling had to ba used due to be delivered by the end of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central.! ’ but it is something of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed Tunnel Street in Finnieston Mavisbank. And stations, including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations flats there was/is a whacking 1.000... Dirt ( and all that entails i.e harbouring diseases and mites, discarded needles, animal etc... In Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company all the old banks and also telephone! Elsewhere when i remembered this thread back in Hidden Glasgow Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow the shortcuts.