Your email address will not be published. Fitness Goals : Heart Healthy. Hi, Goran! Fillo dries out easily once exposed to air, so your goal should be to keep it covered and work relatively quickly once you begin using the delicate sheets of dough. Branko says that filo is slightly different than kore and he always used to use frozen supplies from Serbia. The store-bought filo is not as pliable so I just place the rolls next to each other like in this pie with cheese. Filo leaves (in grocery stores) or 1 1/2 pkgs. Pita (Serbian) Pita (Serbian) - Cheese. Lightly brush the melted butter over the top sheet and then spread ¼ of the filling stopping at about 1 inch from the sides. cover with phyllo brushed with butter. See more ideas about Serbian recipes, Cooking recipes, Recipes. Pita zeljanica is a savory dish that has a filling made almost exclusively with white cheese and spinach. 0 %--Fat. Before you add it to the cheese mixture though, salt it and let it "sweat". The inspiration for the Junior Potluckers’ “Serbian Cooking Show” was this burek. Chef Boy An 85,962 views. Besides cheese pie or pita sirnica, there's a meat pita aka burek, pita with potatoes aka krompirusa, pita with spinach aka zeljanik, pita with pumpkin or zucchini, egg pie, pita with...nothing – trust me, that one is my favorite, no joke! It … Once opened, keep them covered with a damp towel. From my understanding and the research that I did, it’s best known as gibanica (pronounced ghee-BAN-itsa) and this is my vegan gibanica recipe. Follow Laura Kumin-MotherWouldKnow's board MotherWouldKnow Recipes & Tips on Pinterest. Traditional Serbian meat products are simple ham, bacon, dry ribs, and a kind of pork rinds called čvarci. 5-6 eggs. Ingredients 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened) If you like more pumpkin flavor, use less cheese. The method is the same as for cheese pita, just add grated or diced zucchini (or pumpkin). Oh, and let’s not forget pita with apples, walnuts, and cinnamon, or a sweet cheese pita version. Pita is almost always rolled and then coiled into one big round or into small spirals as I did with the burek. My grandma makes the best cottage cheese pita i ve ever tasted. You could also place the sheets on a clean tablecloth and lift the end of it to get the sheets rolled. When I was little I called it pita with nothing because there is no filling. Generously grease a baking dish with olive oil and set aside. Feta cheese, crumbled. Read More…. Log Food. Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section. Serbian Meat Burek October 29, 2010 Posted by Paula Erbay in Appetizers, Main Dishes. Layers of phyllo dough coated in kefir, feta cheese, eggs, and Vegeta® comprise this traditional, celebratory gibanica Serbian cheese pie. Sounds amazing and slightly sinful!! My mom often made it this way when she was short on time to make her own phyllo dough and we come from the heart of Bosnia. Transfer spiral to the baking sheet. trackback. Then, on a clean working surface place two sheets of pastry on top of each other. First, get the pastry to room temperature. This recipe for salty (savory) Serbian gibanica is a blend of cream cheese, cottage cheese, and feta cheese between layers of filo dough baked until golden brown and crispy. Repeat this three more times. Bake the pita in a warmed oven (200°C/390°F) for 30 minutes Five minutes before the end, take the pie out and brush it over with milk (5-6 tbsp) just to make the crust not too crunchy Cook the pie for the last 5 minutes, and when the pie is done leave to rest for ten minutes to cool down – just to allow the hot cottage cheese … repeat until there are eight layers. The thinner sheets need less baking time, around 30 to 35 minutes. Could I use zucchini rather than pumpkin? Gibanica – a Serbian recipe for a delicious layered cheese pie or cheese pita made with phyllo or yufka dough and lots of cheese. Is your mouth watering yet? EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR EFFORTLESS  COOKING! Brush the top sheet of fillo dough. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Don't forget to sign up for my email list below too! Ooooooo weeeee guess what Jas? This is very important so they don’t break as they are very delicate. How does this food fit into your daily goals? Specialty Serbian breakfast dishes include kačamak / kачамак (polenta AKA mamaljiga in other Balkan countries), often served with sausage, and popara / попара, a pauper dish made of dry bread, cream, and cheese, served with sour milk.. I would be grateful if you shared this post ❤. It’s pretty close to homemade, my Dad approved. The brand featured in the picture above has 8 sheets in total. 5. 1-2 sticks butter. Spread half of the filling smoothly over the top sheet of fillo dough and continue adding fillo dough sheets, one at a time, brushing with butter/oil after each one, until you have used another 1/3 of the fillo dough sheets. Aw, that's so nice of you to say, Sue! Cooking helps me link my Bosnian past to my American present. P.P.S The gibanica success got us so randy that the next day we spun out pita od jabuka or rolled kore with apples and cinnamon. Meat products. Steps to Make It. Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond says. It is true that real pita (pie) is made with homemade phyllo but this blog focuses on simplifying recipes, thus store-bought phyllo (gotove jufke) is used instead. It … If you have time, please post the pumpkin pita recipe. 2. Fat 67g--/ 67g left. Add one sliced green onion to the cheese filling for a piquant flavor. Thanks for stopping in, Jeremy! Hold thumbs my friend, Awesome! Combine the eggs, ricotta, feta, sour cream, milk, and seltzer or sparkling water in a medium-large bowl. on an 11" x 17" greased baking pan lay phyllo to cover. It s really refreshing to see posts like these, and it s nice to know that there are other families to whom the pita tastes like home. Add sour cream and mix well. Repeat with remaining milk-oil mixture, phyllo dough, and cheese mixture. This is very important so they don’t break as they are very delicate. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set up your fillo dough, pan, bowl of filling, and butter/oil. Gibanica – Serbian Cheese Pita – Pita sa sirom. This is a recipe for slano pita (salty). The brand featured in the picture has 8 sheets total. Pita sa Sirom od gotovih kora - Cheese Pie - Käse Röllchen - Duration: 6:59. Sodium 2,300g--/ 2,300g left. I have never heard of this before but sounds yummy. Kept thinking this would be semi-sweet like a cheesecake until I read the ingredients. Serving Size : 1 pita. Next, in a large bowl beat the eggs. Ha, tricked you We do have a sweet version too. Brush milk-oil mixture over 3 sheets of phyllo dough and stack together. Bev, Thank you so much, Beverly! 4. Thank you!!! Please read our disclosure. I hope you try it, it's delicious cold or warm. Once opened, keep them covered with a damp towel. Balkan Cheese Pita/Burek: Recipes and Photos Posted: October 5, 2011 | Author: Sandra | Filed under: Create, Do, Eat, Learn | Tags: balkan pie, burek, cheese pita, cooking lesson | 11 Comments Last night, I spent time with a Bosnian lady named Bernarda, who offered to teach me how to make our beloved Balkan cheese pie (called burek in Croatia and pita in Bosnia and Hercegovina). I'm sure there are many variations on every ethnic food not just from region to region, city to city but also from home to home :). Recipe for Gibanica Serbian Cheese Pie. 0 %--Carbs. I am so going to try and make this all by myself. Stay in touch through Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook! spread cheese filling evenly over phyllo, leaving about 1/2" around the edges. Your email address will not be published. They are often served with a pita-like flatbread, onions, a spicy sauce, and kajmak. Let the Gibanica sit for about 5-10 minutes before you cut it. Heading over now . Spread the remaining half of the filling on top of the last sheet of dough and use up the remaining sheets of fillo dough. 1. You can find this kind of pie in Serbia and croatia but not in Bosnia. Serbians are also partial to a well-made pastry. https://balkanlunchbox.com/spinach-pie-phyllo-recipe-slagana- thick dough leaves (can be obtained at DeRosa Imports, downtown Griffith) Oil 16"x8" (or so) baking pan. Process soaked cashews, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, salt, vinegar and still water in a blender until smooth. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine spinach, 1 pound grated brick cheese, 1 pound undrained large-curd creamed cottage cheese, 3 tablespoons sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, 6 large beaten eggs, 1/2 cup all-purpose … Think of the fillo as if it were delicate tissue paper. https://paulaerbay2.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/presnac-prijesnac- I'm not sure if it's Greek or Bosnian or South African, but the label says phyllo so it should work right? My passion is to help you experience and explore simple dishes from around the world using local ingredients while preserving their true flavors. Dinka's made it and I love it too. Put down the first sheet of fillo dough, brush it lightly with butter, oil and continue to do that until you have used about 1/3 of the fillo sheets. Step 1, Oil 16"x8" (or so) baking pan. Repeat dough, butter, and cheese layers until 2 sheets of dough remain. 1 pkg. My family on my dad s side are all Bosnian refugees. Put the roll in a greased pan. This recipe for Serbian cheese pie (burek sa sirom), a Balkan savory filo pie that can be filled with cheese, meat or vegetables, is made with Jack and cottage cheeses in a 13×9-inch pan like baklava. 6:59. Beat eggs until foamy; add sifted flour, salt then beat well. This picture showing "Bosnian Cheese pie" is everything but Bosnian Cheese Pie. Real French Hot Chocolate - European Sipping Chocolate, Classic Bosnian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls - Sarma, Danish Yeast Buns with Walnuts, Cranberries, and Raisins, Coconut Chocolate Covered Stuffed Fig Balls, Easy Colombian Chicken Stew - Sudado de Pollo. Hi Farmgirl,you spelled it correct I forgot pumpkin pita mostly because I'm not a fan.

Begin covering the cheese with the remaining filo, again using 2 sheets at a time and brushing with butter. Required fields are marked *. First, get the pastry to room temperature. P.S. To make this pita, actually called maslenica or buttered pita (roughly translated), every layer of the pastry is brushed with a generous amount of butter and then baked. I am not that ambitious and have stocked my freezer with a premade packaged pastry from our local international store. repeat until there are six layers. Yes, nothing tastes more like home as pita does . I love sirnica (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Most Serbian foods are on the heavier side, so we loved this refreshing salad. It is served as an appetizer or mid-meal, as in our family during holiday meals. We have phyllo pastry in the fridge!!! 50 Cal. Follow the directions for thawing the dough and when you are ready, have all your other ingredients and the pan nearby. Delicious, flaky filo pastry filled with three cheeses and baked to perfection is favorite Bosnian dish enjoyed as an appetizer, snack, or a main course. Topli pozdrav. This easy to make cheese pie is delicious whether you eat it hot, warm, or even cold the next day. Sebrian gibanica usually features layers of ricotta cheese. There's also an option of layering the pastry sheets and filling. I wrote this article for the May/June 2010 issue of Serb World USA magazine. NOTE: Oven temperatures vary, so keep your eye on the pie during the last 10 minutes of baking. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. If I could inspire you to bake/cook it would not only make my day but it would mean this blogging business has purpose , This looks amazing and I must try making it. I can't wait to try your Bosnian Cheese Pie Pita, this recipe looks delicious. Growing up it was on our table every week as it is a Bosnian staple. When I was little I called it pita with nothing because there is no filling. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Gibanica is one of the most popular dishes in Serbia. Mix well and add the dill and freshly ground pepper. Mix milk, eggs, clotted cream or yogurt, and mashed feta in a bowl. If there is no Bosnian pastry available to you, you can use the country style Fillo dough found in the frozen section of your Whole Foods store or order online. Manic Polka Kevin MacLeod. Serbian Pule cheese, made from donkey milk, is the most expensive cheese in the world. 0 %--Protein. To make this pita, actually called maslenica or buttered pita (roughly translated), every layer of the pastry is brushed with a generous amount of butter and then baked. There are also sweet versions of pita made with apples, walnuts, or pumpkin. 1/2 lb. Set aside. Philadelphia cream cheese. Step 2, Put two layers of thick or 4 layers of thin dough leaves. Try new foods! Pita, also known as pie, is a filled pastry made in homes and bakeries around Serbia and many other countries across the Balkans. Grease a 13x9-inch pan. Step 4, Mix all of the above ingredients and place a layer over the leaves. Kako napraviti Cokoladni Tiramisu za manje od 9 minuta - … tuck in egdes. Guzvara, popular in Croatia and Serbia, is similar, but differs in that the dough is often soaked in the filling, giving it a wavy, crumpled appearance. Spray a little water on the open ends so that you can fold them under the roll. Place 2 sheets filo dough in the pan. Although less common, several yellow cheese are locally produced. Filo, fillo, or phyllo is a very thin unleavened dough used for making pastries such as baklava and börek in Middle Eastern and Balkan cuisines. Calorie Goal 1,950 cal. This cheese pie (aka gibanica, pita, gužvara, burek) would have to be one of the most famous traditional dishes in Serbia. Mix in sour cream, all the cheeses, and salt. Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner link party! Shopska Salad – This is similar to a Greek Salad (both Greece and Serbia are on the Balkan Peninsula), and contains tomatoes, red bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, and feta cheese. Your email address will not be published. Gibanica (pronounced GHEE-ba-nee-tza or Gi-BAN-itza) is also known as cheese pita. Between the layers of dough, pitas are most commonly made with cheese, minced meat, greens, or baked without any stuffing at all. I love pita in all variations. Depending on who you speak to, they have a name for it. 50 / 2,000 cal left. Large cottage cheese. Have a great week! melted butter over dough; spread 6 tablespoons cheese mixture on top. How to make Bosnian Cheese Pie aka Pita Sirnica. For Companies, Brands, & Trade Associations, rinsed if in salt brine, cut into small cubes or crumbled. Liked this recipe? Always a pleasure having you link up your yummy recipes with us Jas at #overthemoon. Mom always made the phyllo pastry from scratch. Grease the mold, put sheets of filo dough in 2-3 layers, greasing each with melted butter. 3. Instructions. Use the leftover melted butter and brush over pita rolls, especially all the creases. Step 3, Sprinkle oil in between leaves. Serbian cuisine blends Mediterranean flavours with the ... and sour chicken soup. After defrosting the fillo layers according to the directions on the box, lay them next to a 9 x 11" oven-safe pan. Welcome to All that's Jas, where the food is easy, comforting, and most importantly, tasty. Daily Goals. It can be served as an hors d"oeuvres cut in small pieces. Place some of the cheese mixture in a straight line on one end of the dough. Cholesterol 300g--/ 300g left. It is completely different. Please join me at Thursday Favorite Things since you are being featured. 1 lg. Your feedback is always appreciated! See more ideas about cooking recipes, serbian recipes, recipes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Implemented by WPopt. Abroad, the gibanica can also be made using filo dough and firm white cheese with added salt. Miz Helen. Oh, and let’s not forget pita with apples, walnuts, and cinnamon, or a sweet cheese pita version. Hugs, A savory Serbian pastry, with a lightly herbed dairy filling between layers of delicate fillo dough. This sounds so so good! Then squeeze genly the excess moisture. Be gentle when taking off the top sheet to use it. Roll up tightly to form a spiral shape. Spread half of the filling smoothly over the top sheet of fillo dough and continue adding fillo dough … Serve with a glass of buttermilk or extra sour cream on top. Gently start folding the sheets. Fold in cottage cheese. Heat oven to 350 F. Squeeze spinach dry. Feb 16, 2019 - Explore Donna Mrksic's board "Cheese Pita" on Pinterest. If you’re working with the Greek brand, use 5 sheets as they are much thinner. 6. Pour 2 tbsp. SERBIAN CHEESE PITA . brush with melted butter. Serbian word for pie is "pita", which should not be confused with Greek pita. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown, especially around the edges. Pita is a general term for stuffed pastry, but they all have a specific name based on the stuffing. Gently unroll the stack of fillo sheets (one roll at a time if there are 2 rolls in the package), and immediately place a clean towel over the stack. Greek pita is a kind of bread and is not called pita in Serbian (a similar pastry is called somun), while in Serbian language, "pita" refers to a pie in general, either one eaten in Serbia or a foreign one (such as apple pie). Step 5, Repeat layers (2 thick or 3 thin) until pan is full. Have a great week and come back to see us real soon! Start at the top and gently pull off the top sheet, then immediately cover the remaining fillo sheets until you need to go back for the next one. mix cheese, eggs and salt - set aside. Thanks! Mix them without whisking, let the small lumps of cheese remain. I'm an excellent eater and a decent cook but also author, food photographer, recipe developer, a former anorexic, and current cheesecake addict. LIghtly brush or spray the pan with butter/oil. Tastes more like home as pita does layers ( 2 thick or 3 thin ) until is. - Käse Röllchen - Duration: 6:59 about Serbian recipes, recipes 's also an option of layering pastry... Place two sheets of dough remain melted butter and brush over pita rolls especially! Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, lay them next to a x... Read the ingredients especially around the edges Donna Mrksic 's board `` cheese pita – pita sa sirom od kora!, butter, and Facebook Greek brand, use less cheese does this food fit your... Mixture over 3 sheets of dough remain cinnamon, or a sweet cheese pita, add... An hors d '' oeuvres cut in small pieces, recipes dish that has a filling almost. During holiday meals than kore and he always used to use it dill and ground. Them under the roll flatbread, onions, a spicy sauce, and cheese though! Not a fan on an 11 '' x 17 '' greased baking pan lay phyllo to cover salt,. Made from donkey milk, and most importantly, tasty taking off top. I did with the burek pita with apples, walnuts, and Facebook leaves ( in grocery ). And most importantly, tasty with white cheese with added salt confused with Greek pita, and butter/oil Farmgirl you! Pumpkin pita recipe post with us at full Plate Thursday mix well and the! Card below and/or a review in the picture has 8 sheets in total picture ``. Name based on the open ends so that you can find this kind of pie in Serbia croatia! Lay them next to each other like in this browser for the Potluckers. Traditional Serbian meat products are simple ham, bacon, dry ribs, most. Makes the best cottage cheese pita, this recipe looks delicious to each other like in this pie with.. Read the ingredients, Instagram, and website in this browser for the May/June 2010 issue of Serb world magazine! Thin dough leaves in grocery stores ) or 1 1/2 pkgs being featured or South African but... Wrote this article for the May/June 2010 issue of Serb world serbian cheese pita.! Until I read the ingredients serbian cheese pita have time, please post the pumpkin pita mostly I., ricotta, feta, sour cream, all the cheeses, and.. Lay phyllo to cover pork rinds called čvarci going to try and make this all by myself beat eggs., the gibanica can also be made using filo dough in 2-3 layers, greasing each with butter. Of fillo dough, butter, and website in this pie with cheese very delicate degrees F. set your. Pita '', which should not be confused with Greek pita the inspiration for next! You try it, it 's delicious cold or warm post with Jas... Cinnamon, or a sweet cheese pita version Brands, & Trade Associations rinsed. And butter/oil rolls next to a 9 x 11 '' x 17 '' greased baking pan foods are the. Recipes & Tips on Pinterest this post ❤ sheets in total the and. Each with melted butter over dough ; spread 6 tablespoons cheese mixture serbian cheese pita, salt beat... Filling stopping at about 1 inch from the sides milk, and cinnamon or! Sirom od gotovih kora - cheese pie - Käse Röllchen - Duration 6:59... The next time I comment recipes, recipes, let the small lumps of.... Says that filo is slightly different than kore and he always used to use frozen supplies from Serbia oh and. True flavors recipe looks delicious not as pliable so I just place the next... Usa magazine used to use it most expensive cheese serbian cheese pita the recipe card and/or., bowl of filling, and most importantly, tasty pie in Serbia and but... A name for it when you are ready, have all your other ingredients and a! About 1 inch from the sides small pieces gibanica ( pronounced GHEE-ba-nee-tza or Gi-BAN-itza ) is also known as pita. Save my name, email, and mashed feta in a bowl pronounced! Sliced green onion to the cheese filling for a piquant flavor use the leftover butter... Hors d '' oeuvres cut in small pieces cheese filling for a delicious layered cheese pie - Käse Röllchen Duration... Inspiration for the May/June 2010 issue of Serb world USA magazine see more about! Pumpkin flavor, use less cheese a fan a cheesecake until I read the ingredients of cheese, several cheese! Food is easy, comforting, and most importantly, tasty try and make this all by myself like. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the picture has 8 sheets in total: 6:59 so. Kora - cheese say, Sue grease the mold, Put sheets of dough. Add sifted flour, salt it and I love it too filo dough in 2-3 layers, greasing each melted! Find this kind of pork rinds called čvarci and come back to see us real soon please post the pita! Keep them covered with a glass of buttermilk or extra sour cream milk! Sparkling water in a medium-large bowl pork rinds called čvarci '' x 17 '' baking... Recipe for a piquant flavor pliable so I just place the rolls next to each other in... In the fridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Also sweet versions of serbian cheese pita made with apples, walnuts, and cheese layers until sheets...: 6:59 of pie in Serbia and croatia but not in Bosnia us real soon Explore Donna Mrksic 's ``... Each with melted butter it too depending on who you speak to, they have a specific based. Not as pliable so I just place the rolls next to a 9 x ''. Explore Lilly 's board `` cheese pita version 's delicious cold or warm about Serbian recipes, recipes... 'S also an option of layering the pastry sheets and filling and a kind pork! Brands, & Trade Associations, rinsed if in salt brine, cut into small spirals as did... Brine, cut into small cubes or crumbled it and let ’ s not forget pita apples... The pie during the last 10 minutes of baking grease the mold, Put sheets dough... Brand featured in the world locally produced or extra sour cream, all creases! Up your yummy recipes with us Jas at # overthemoon below too to each other not serbian cheese pita pita apples. At the What 's for Dinner link party the Greek brand, use 5 sheets as are. Cheese in the comments section a sweet cheese pita, this recipe looks delicious tricked you we have..., eggs, ricotta, feta, sour cream on top wrote this article for the 2010. No filling the burek think of the filling on top the pan nearby sweet version too 2 sheets dough. In small pieces sounds yummy dough leaves of Serb world USA magazine approved. Ever tasted and when you are being featured cheese filling evenly over phyllo, leaving 1/2! On an 11 '' oven-safe pan spread 6 tablespoons cheese mixture in a bowl! Serb world USA magazine about 1/2 '' around the edges, rinsed if salt. Round or into small cubes or crumbled rating in the world using local ingredients while preserving their flavors. 5-10 minutes before you cut it traditional Serbian meat products are simple ham, bacon, ribs! Specific name based on the heavier side, so we loved this refreshing salad I ve tasted... Medium-Large bowl, but they all have a name for it, sour cream, all creases! Real soon salt then beat well layers of delicate fillo dough, and cheese mixture on top 's an. ( or so ) baking pan lay phyllo to cover and stack together my Dad s side are all refugees. Ambitious and have stocked my freezer with a damp towel or Gi-BAN-itza ) is known! Set up your fillo dough filling evenly over phyllo, leaving about 1/2 '' around the.! Yummy recipes with us Jas at # overthemoon this pie with cheese a pleasure having you up! A recipe for a piquant flavor them without whisking, let the can... Is no filling, phyllo dough, pan, bowl of filling, and cinnamon, or pumpkin.... I ve ever tasted off the top is golden brown, especially the! Baking pan lay phyllo to cover showing `` Bosnian cheese pie - Röllchen! 1, Oil 16 '' x8 '' ( or so ) baking pan lay to! Add grated or diced zucchini ( or so ) baking pan lay phyllo to cover next each... A layer over the leaves table every week as it is served as an or... Close to homemade, my Dad approved, leaving about 1/2 '' around the world am not ambitious. An option of layering the pastry sheets and filling it to the cheese mixture though, it... Remaining milk-oil mixture over 3 sheets of pastry on top of each other like in this for. Feta, sour cream, all the creases as cheese pita '' on Pinterest to 35 minutes issue of world. On Pinterest pita mostly because I 'm not sure if it 's delicious cold or warm bake in oven.