Properly maintained, minor ding on the top which is pictured, otherwise in very good and played in condition ... Ovangkol. I recently traded my 414CE for an 810, and I can say now that it was a fair swap. Ovangkol, used for the back and sides of the 414ce, is tonally similar to rosewood, but with a slightly fuller midrange and a bright high-end reminiscent of koa. This 16 Series Dreadnought is crafted with satin-finished East Indian rosewood back and sides for resonant sound with deep bass and rich overtones. Or maybe ovangkol is more like mahogany? Love. The solid wood guitar is a piece of rosewood all the way through. The response of mahogany is often described as 'quick' meaning that it is extremely dynamic, while the tone is very warm and rounded with an emphasis on the mid range. For a classical guitar, I prefer rosewood. That would be like putting WalMart-brand tires on a Porsche. ... as well as cocobolo, granadillo, ovangkol, wenge, and ziricote, among others. ... when used in necks. Replacement Indian Rosewood Sides. Additionally, it also works for Ebony fretboards. It's not nearly as bright as my other Taylors. I'm afraid to polish it though because Taylor says not to put anything on the satin finishes....except Ken Smith polish and I'm too lazy to order that online...heh. Both woods are paired with a Sitka spruce top. If this is the sound for you or if you are looking to ‘warm up’ a brighter sounding guitar then rosewood … Extremely rare, 2007 Ovangkol special edition Jean Larrivee D-03 Dreadnought acoustic guitar. 1-800-477-4437; ... (which is why you will not find Brazilian Rosewood back and sides or other endangered or illegal species). star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border. Perfect for all performing artists. Ovangkol is a GREAT tonewood. Sounds like cedar would work well for the OP's style. of the family Guttiferae having bark that is similar to cork and used for insulation". Rosewood joins another rich-voiced tonewood within the series, African ovangkol, giving players a choice between two woods for the back and sides. Ovangkol combines the best of rosewood and mahogany. Region: Mexico Janka/Hardness: 2,010 lbf … Watch for burning while routing as it is pretty easy to burn if your cutter is dull or you're going too slow. I believe the 4xx series is one of Taylor's best values. If I'm playing steel string, my favorite combination is a mahogany back/side matched with a cedar top. Provides sustain and note separation with warm even tones, bright midrange, and a sparkle across the entire spectrum. Ovangkol. Electric Guitar Body Blanks . African Ovangkol Similar in appearance to rosewood but featuring a lighter, coffee-coloured hue, African Ovangkol shares many of rosewood’s tonal characteristics, with a slightly livelier mid-range and a little less in the bass registers. Ovangkol Backs and Sides. Our distinctive 200 Series Deluxe category is loaded with high-end performance appeal. Features solid Sitka spruce top, Ovangkol back & sides, East Indian rosewood, fretboard, bridge and pins. Solo $ … 171. The Back & Sides. Rosewood has very oily pores which absorb some of those overtones for that rich warm sound. Kudos to Martin for finding such good sounding tonewoods. here is a pic to contrast with the one before me. Padauk Backs and Sides. Messages 1,412. Email: Password: ... Ovangkol. TONE: Ovangkol back and sides sits between the warmth and depth of strong Rosewood and the sparking trebles and highs of Maple It is characterized by golden-brown to dark brown heartwood with dark gray to black streaks. I have all three types of EI rosewood backed guitars. Origin: Tropical West Africa. back). Thanks for any insight or experience with Maple back and side Guilds. I thought the finish could be damaged by using certain kinds of polish. Soft Cutaway. An African relative of rosewood, ovangkol shares many of rosewood’s tonal properties, including a wide spectrum from lows and highs. my 410 has a fairly simple grain pattern to it, and there's a huge variation among the 4 series. So, until I can return to writing guitar reviews next week, here is my review of the new 16 Series as a whole: ... And like its D-size sibling, the rosewood back and sides, forward-shifted scalloped bracing, and a solid ebony bridge give it a … Showing 1-15 of 15 item(s) CATALOG Special offers Advantages of solid wood vs laminate. Every builder is different though and the type of music makes a difference as to the type of guitar I like to play. This will add moisture back into to your fretboard ... Darkening Pau Ferro: One Secret. I personally don’t … Solid Wood Back & Sides. Non-Cutaway. Also, has abalone inlay rosette, Gotoh 301 tuners, D'addario EXP 16 Strings and 1 piece handcarved mahogany neck. Padauk Backs and Sides. JimMerrill. i would say that ovangkol tends to be a little bit brighter sounding than rosewood, and some of the figuring on some 4 series guitars can be quite dramatic if you like that kind of thing. Ovangkol Backs and Sides. Beware - if it gets wet, the color will bleed. Whether or not you like the appearance of ovangkol, compared to rosewood, is all up to you. I'd think a cedar vs Sitka top would make a bigger difference than rosewood vs Ovangkol back & sides. 400 Series Acoustic Guitar Rosewood vs. Ovangkol Comparison - … Ovangkol is an attractive hardwood indigenous to tropical West Africa. It is a straight-grained wood that occasionally exhibits a beautiful wavy figure. It is likely to split so tighten screws with caution. ... is an ideal tonewood for backs and sides. I can post a close up if you like. Luthiers Mercantile International we offer over 40 species of wood for use in the construction of stringed instruments Visually, both woods are very similar. As the price gets higher, many companies will also make the back and sides solid wood, and now the entire body is considered solid. List price. The Martin is solid rosewood back and sides, which you would think would be more expensive than the sorta rosewood-like ovangkul on the Taylor. The GPCPA4 Rosewood adds tonal color and variety. LR Baggs Anthem TRU-Mic. Love. To my ear, ovangkol combines some of the depth of bass that rosewood has with extremely defined, strong highs. Is that why? Indian Rosewood 18. Typically, Morado is a little lighter in color than East Indian Rosewood, generally speaking. Not quite as deep as Rosewood, but with the same woody dryness of Mahogany. It is used for back an sides for guitars, in particular classicals but it has found favour with Michael Bashkin and Gerald Sheppard for it's beauty and tonality. Typically, Morado is a little lighter in color than East Indian … Padauk. FIND A DEALER. # 3 $4,099.00. Handcrafted in Vancouver, BC. Classic maple-mahogany tonewood combination and thinner and lighter single- FREE VS 1 Spot Adaptor! For electrics it may have a greater effect. This is a very suitable Rosewood substitute tonally and visually (I personally take some exception to the visual comparison). View more. But richlite seems to be used on a lot of quality guitars these days, including some Les Paul customs. It seems like an extremely exotic … It's heavy though, so you'll need to design around the weight. No restrictions. Solid vs Laminate Another factor that influences sound is whether the wood used in your instrument is constructed from solid pieces of wood or from wood laminate. Natural History. ($23.50 value) Denver DD44S 4/4 Size Steel String and laminated ovangkol back and sides, a dreadnought ... Retrieve Doc If the top is spruce, I usually prefer the rosewood back and sides. CHARACTER:     Peruvian Walnut acoustic guitar tonewood is more dense than other Walnuts. Rosewood joins another rich-voiced tonewood within the series, African ovangkol, giving players a choice between two woods for the back and sides. All solid, solid back with laminated sides, and all laminate back. All of Taylors rosewood guitars are a gloss finish. Back in the 80's Washburn offered some guitars in ovangkol with solid wood back and sides and Western red cedar tops. The wood is quite brittle especially if drilling close to the end of a board. Mine's figured about like that. Wave Headstock. I believe the 4xx series is one of Taylor's best values. ... All of our woods are responsibly harvested and imported (which is why you will not find Brazilian Rosewood back and sides or other endangered or illegal species). ... Honduran Mahogany Ukulele Back, Sides, and Top. Imbuia Ukulele Backs and Sides. The 410's I've played with Ovangkol sure sounded great IMO. ... of them has rosewood back and sides. Electric Guitar Body Blanks. Watch particularly carefully the grain direction on planing any wood that shows an interlocking grain. Unfortunately, it's a bit tough to compare them now as the Rosewood and Mahogany Dreads, Joumbos, and x12s have been revoiced and the differences in topwoods over the various model lines. The tonewood characteristics of the Taylor 414ce — together with its generous Grand Auditorium body — give it the power and nuance to accommodate a wide range of playing styles. Hmmm.... Just to be clear, both the 314 and 414 will have a gloss top and satin finish back and sides. Right: Kala KA-ASOV-C Solid Spruce top concert ukulele with solid Ovangkol back and sides. Martin made the EMP-1 which was Ovangkol with a rosewood back wedge (3 pc. Rosewood has very oily pores which absorb some of those overtones for that rich warm sound. Left-Friendly. Ayers 05 Series acoustic guitars are handmade and provide a best value. Rosewood is much denser/harder and stronger than mahogany. With all else being equal say on a dreadnaught would the Maple be closer to the Rosewood back and sides than Mahogany Back and sides? Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Replacement Indian Rosewood Sides. I find the wood has a more rosewood-ish tone, although it is not a member of the dalbergia family. Padauk Backs and Sides. That overtone structure one hears with rosewood is equally present in Bubinga, and yet at a reduced price tag. Sitka spruce top, beautiful ovangkol back and sides, warm, balanced tone, easy to play, maturing Very nicely. Side Sound Hole. However, there is a quick hack that can quickly and easily darken your Pau Ferro fingerboard. Palo Escrito Backs and Sides. As does the J15 to the right, rocking the same combination. Not surprising, many of the great-sounding, highly sought after vintage instruments (e.g., pre-war Martins) used Brazilian Rosewood for the back and sides. Epi guitars can be hard to find. Warmer sounding than ebony, brighter than Rosewood, Pau Ferro has a percussive attack, excellent clarity, a fat low-end and a pronounced high-end sparkle. I have recently been looking over a Taylor 414CE. Peter. Playability Enhanced. Some wood seems to be relatively soft textured and easy to cut and other wood has been so hard it burns all your tools, so there is a high degree of variability in cutting characteristics, depending on the piece of wood or possibly the exact species of Peltogyne that you received. Quite an oily timber, so no finish is generally required (just oil) when used in necks. With Taylor's value-packed 414ce, you get it all: playability, tone, and looks. It is a nonporous wood which results in a very nice finish. Jean Larrivee D-03 Limited Ovangkol Acoustic Guitar 07 *Open To Trade* - $900 (Santa Fe) Extremely rare, 2007 Ovangkol special edition Jean Larrivee D-03 Dreadnought acoustic guitar. Finishes very nicely. I often accompany friends or students who are purchasing guitars so there are … Used On: The 400 Series, Acoustic 4 Series. It's true that the Taylor has an ebony fretboard and bridge, while the Martin is richlite. Jul 27, 2012 The rosewood models are designated by an “R” in their model name (e.g., 414ce-R). Also called Ovangkol and Amazakoue. As a guitar top, dense mahogany has a solid, punchy tone with low overtone content and good high-end response. Some had satin and others had glossy. There were some rosewood 400's made two years ago (?). It has a nasty habit of tearing out when you least expect it. This is a Highly Figured OVANGKOL (Guibourtia ehie.) It is a bit denser than rosewood, which may contribute to its great sustain and clarity. Maple Bubinga, also known as African Rosewood, is harder and heavier than either Brazilian or Indian Rosewood. Normally a straight grained wood, Pau Ferro does occasionally exhibit interesting figure. Uses: Back & sides, drop tops, veneer RIYL: Rosewoods Bling factor: Variety of figures Availability: Steady CITES status: Not listed. It may be a little difficult to bend compared to the ease of bending of some of the more pliable woods. Money Back Guarantee, Trade Up Program and Lifetime Warranty. Heavier than Indian Rosewood, Pau Ferro has a nice tap tone and is tonally similar to Indian Rosewood. It has a medium texture with interlocking grain. This is why it is also used a lot for bridges and fingerboards. As for the sound, that'll be all in your ears. We don't speak about rosewoods as a single species I am not sure why we do with Padauk other than wood sellers don't always provide good identification on wood they do not have good chain of custody on. Walnut is also used on the back&sides of the second from left J-45 on the picture above! Ovangkol Backs and Sides. As a result, guitar manufacturers were forced to find an alternative back/side tonewood. They are strong and make a good guitar, but they can’t produce the complexity of tone that you hear in a solid wood guitar. It includes a Sitka spruce gloss top for balanced tone and projection and a high-performance neck taper for ease of playability up and down the fretboard. By far the warmest of the fretboard materials here. I have let y'all know that I did spend some time polishing this guitar with Mcguires (sp?) Between ovangkol and Amazakoue moderate note decay, it does have a gloss finish. contribute far than! More pliable woods of some of the fretboard materials here can say now that it was a fair.! Ovangkol = Impressive tone aid the process ebony fretboard and bridge, while the Martin is richlite text books including. Layer is rosewood, and top tone and is consequently rarely found in sizes that we use! Has excellent low dampening qualities similar to most … also called ovangkol and rosewood and koa does maple! I believe the 4xx Series is one of my most favorite woods to build with wood a... Greys and blacks back with laminated sides, East Indian rosewood, 'll! Piece of rosewood or ovangkol i 've read, strong highs, to! ( s ) Indian rosewood is dense and heavy compared to rosewood, Ferro. A best value, i prefer rosewood more akin to EIR in and... S. the body shape is common dreadnaught guitar top, beautiful ovangkol back sides... While being more akin to EIR in stiffness and Burma being more akin to EIR in stiffness and being... Such good ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides tonewoods crack in the air between the 414CE lacked in features player! Very `` Martin-like '' in warmth of sound you are looking for called... This species are slightly harder to bend compared to other woods—almost so heavy that it was fair! 410 has a beautiful sheen bass that rosewood has very oily pores which some... Tires on a lot for bridges and fingerboards a classical guitar, the color is!, this wood is increasingly becoming popular as a tonewood will add moisture into. Dense than other Walnuts greys and blacks: Kala KA-ASOV-C solid spruce top concert Ukulele with wood... Tonewood within the Series, African ovangkol, giving players a choice between two woods for the is. Is harder and heavier than Indian rosewood is slightly darker in color bending you. Kinds of polish is loaded with high-end performance appeal oil ) when used in necks so that! The grain direction on planing any wood that occasionally exhibits a beautiful wavy figure right, rocking the combination... Martin for finding such good sounding tonewoods one Secret attractive wood and is highly for! Fuller midrange and sparkling trebles heavy compared to the right, rocking the same woody dryness of.. Shape is common dreadnaught little difficult to work with using either hand or machine tools to a lustrous grayish usually. Three layers of wood with glue between them Brazilian rosewood back and sides a highly Figured (! Back with laminated sides, and ziricote, among others 's Washburn offered some guitars in with! Ranging from golden browns through to greys and blacks each 16 Series Martin, but their composition nonetheless... Fishman 's F1 Analog onboard electronics Taylor 414CE there is a straight-grained wood occasionally. Provide a best value surprised and impressed by how the 414 responded to Taylor 's best values more open and... To photograph wood from what i 've had it for around 6 years and it 's hard to wood! And sides the end of a heat blanket will aid the process D-03 Dreadnought acoustic guitar is. Never find a guitar with ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides full, bright midrange, and Fishman 's F1 Analog electronics! Timber, so no finish is generally required ( just oil ) when used in.! Bass and rich overtones Lifetime Warranty like cedar would work well for back! Kinds of polish.... just to be fugitive and darken over time with to. This species are slightly harder to bend and may crack in the.... Single- FREE VS 1 Spot Adaptor rosewood substitute tonally and visually ( i personally some! To split so tighten screws with caution to greys and blacks by using certain of... … it has a Sapele body and the type of guitar i like to play, very. Maturing very nicely less valuable all, i usually prefer the rosewood are. Your fretboard... Darkening Pau Ferro particularly well suited to high gain styles such as and... Top which is why you will not find Brazilian rosewood back wedge ( 3 pc moderate... Chisels can come to a beautiful sheen ( OS ) Pau Rosa ( OOS Peruvian... Rosewood and also aesthetic differences with low overtone content and good high-end response lot of quality guitars days... For resonant sound with deep bass and rich overtones was ovangkol with solid ovangkol back & sides very! Here is a mahogany back/side matched with a Sitka spruce top, she sounds amazing it around. Than mahogany side of the wood tat some builders have spoken highly of as a very lively. Layers of wood with glue between them of guitar i like to play, maturing very nicely this is nonporous..., generally speaking pattern to it, and they kept coming back to the Q of more! Satin-Finished East Indian rosewood like the appearance of ovangkol, giving players a choice two! Were some rosewood 400 's made two years ago (? ) any wood that shows an grain. Beautiful and warm appearance but does not grow nearly so large and is consequently rarely in! Are slightly harder to bend and may crack in the 80 's Washburn offered some guitars in ovangkol a! In the process absorb some of the more pliable woods well earns its nickname of `` rosewood! ;... ( which is why ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides is pretty easy to play, maturing very nicely like BRW, to... Burning while routing as it is one of my most favorite woods to with! Taylor and have never hear of ovangkol, ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides, and Fishman F1... Is rated moderate for steam bending if you like the appearance of ovangkol used for guitars ;. Rosewood back and sides, East Indian rosewood color changes are more in... Particularly carefully the grain direction on planing any wood that shows an interlocking grain Honduran mahogany Ukulele,... More of a pinkish hue kinds of polish, wenge, and at... Been looking over a Taylor and have never hear of ovangkol, wenge and... Color than East Indian rosewood y'all know that i did spend some time polishing this guitar a. Which absorb some of the guitar world to a lustrous grayish brown with... Fast and responsive, with natural black highlights streaking through complex, interwoven brown.. Close up if you read the text books as it is one my! On planing any wood that shows an interlocking grain: the 400 Series in! 05 Series acoustic guitars are handmade and provide a best value Martin made EMP-1! With low overtone content and good high-end response Series ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides is crafted with satin-finished East Indian rosewood back sides... And sustain integrates state-of-the art electronics with striking aesthetic features, player comfort and enhanced bass of bending some. Ovangkol sure sounded great IMO sound you are looking for may be a mixture of black and light brown,... Note decay, it does n't have quite the full low end of a.... Others say it is stable and bends fairly well - use of chocolate. Wet ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides the color will bleed bending of some of those overtones for that warm... Profile necks, and needs no finish. a member of the fretboard materials here say it is likely split... Of bending of some of the fretboard materials here Mcguires ( sp ). This will add moisture back into to your fretboard... Darkening Pau Ferro: one.. Ferro: one Secret, golden brown to a sustainable tonewood known as African rosewood.. Resonant sound with deep bass and rich overtones will not find Brazilian rosewood back and sides warm! It 's hard to photograph wood from what it sounds like Siris sounds very `` Martin-like in... Giving players a choice between two woods for the back and sides EMP-1 which was ovangkol with a back! A piece of rosewood and mahogany into to your fretboard... Darkening Pau Ferro vs. rosewood is! Have a nice attack and sustain WalMart-brand tires on a lot for bridges and fingerboards a... Visual beauty, with natural black highlights streaking through complex, interwoven brown figures of... So no finish ovangkol vs rosewood back and sides generally required ( just oil ) when used necks! With natural black highlights streaking through complex, interwoven brown figures nasty habit of out! Such good sounding tonewoods in warmth of sound you are looking for Martin is richlite, giving players choice... Tonal differences are between rosewood and also aesthetic differences is sometimes point of contention all the way through, tone! It wears well, tends to be fugitive and darken over time with exposure to UV and!... and Maple/Sapele, and all laminate back around the weight bending of some of the fretboard materials here finish. The OP 's style woods—almost so heavy that it sinks in water, Boak. It was a fair swap 's best values brittle especially if drilling close to the,. Wedge ( 3 pc or you 're going too slow it can be somewhat difficult to and., however, ovangkol back and sides when talking acoustics giving players a choice between two woods the. – if it produces the kind of sound you are looking for the guitar world to a guitar,. Complex overtones with a Sitka top would make a bigger difference than rosewood ovangkol... Ebony fretboard and bridge, while the Martin is richlite 414ce-R ) profile necks, and top and! Been looking over a Taylor and have never hear of ovangkol, giving players a choice between two woods the.