This sour cream cheese sauce is perfect for Mexican dishes like chicken enchiladas, tamales, tacos, Migas and Beef fajitas. Your email address will not be published. Living in Georgia it is hard to find a decent Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada. I am going to make this a tonight. How to Make Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Sauce This cilantro lime sauce is dead simple to make. Step one. Thank you, Dana! Feb 1, 2020 - Explore mary arroyo's board "Mexican - Enchiladas (Cream Sauce)" on Pinterest. Stir in the flour, and cook for 1 … Once that is mixed in, add the cheese and stir until the sauce is smooth and creamy. If you prefer not to use chicken broth, use vegetable broth or water. The … How to make this recipe Pre-step. Add in the Rotel tomatoes, and green chilies in, and pulse several times to finish the sauce. Add some buttermilk to heavy cream, let it rest overnight, and the next day you’ve got a thick, flavorful delight. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 or 4 minutes. The universal version of this sauce goes well with fish, potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and brussels sprouts. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Perfect sauce for enchiladas, tamales or fajitas! Pepper is now ready for sauce. Never thought I could have restaurant quality enchiladas at home. Tastes very similar to the Crema Agria that I frequently buy yet, not exactly the same. This Mexican crema lasts for up to two weeks (or more) when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. give it or take.. you can make it half a pound why not! ! Mazatlan on Hwy 380 near the old Denton bowling alley!!! Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). Yes Pat!! Now I make my own! I use it on tacos, enchiladas and fajitas! Fry tortillas, one at a time, in 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet 5 seconds on each side or just … Note that letting the lime crema sit for at least … In a food processor combine cream cheese, avocados, lemon juice, garlic powder, jalapenos, cilantro salt, and sour cream, process until smooth. Serve with chips. You can vary the amount of jalepeño juice to make it as spicy as you like! At a local Mexican restaurant, they have a chipotle … I use Monterey Jack because of the sharp flavor and because it's white and tangy. After you've added the cheese and jalapeno juice; make the slurry and follow these instructions: This sauce goes great over enchiladas or tamales because of the jalapeno juice. It's one of my favorite sauces! ¼ of a large yellow onion 2 large garlic cloves Perfect for enchiladas or tamales! So Easy! Will make again for other things! The cornstarch slurry thickens the sauce. In a sealable container, stir together the cream and yogurt. Transfer to a serving bowl if using right away, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate if storing. If you want a more universal flavor, substitute the jalapeno juice with either white vinegar or lemon juice. The cream is ready to use now, or it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up … In addition to providing flavor and texture to a dish, the cream also serves as a neutralizer for the heat of chiles. Heat oil in large frying pan. Can you add lime or lime juice to this recipe? It’s very simple to turn that sour cream … It may tend to form lumps in the fridge, but that's easily remedied by adding a little water and stirring constantly. If you need immediate help, email me: [email protected]. A quick way to shift it back towards the creamy mouthfeel of Mexican Crema is to dilute it with buttermilk. Get out a mixing bowl and whisk. The cream is ready to use now or it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). Yellow cheeses like Cheddar and Colby do not work as well because they're too oily. On one end of the spectrum is a home-cultured Mexican Crema. Simply heat the sauce on the stove, medium heat, and whisk until the sauce is creamy and smooth. Add all the zest, juice, granulated garlic and salt to the sour cream and whisk well to combine. See more ideas about Mexican food recipes, Enchiladas, Mexican dishes. Heat the oil a large cast … I give this 5 stars cause it was delicious on chicken tamales! 2 cups Greek yogurt or sour cream or a combo of both; 1/2 cup Pace Picante Sauce or your favorite salsa - I prefer Pace for this recipe; 1 teaspoon dried dill; 1 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/2 … If you use water, you may want to add more salt, since most stocks and/or broths contain sodium. If the salsa is too thick to blend add water 2 tbsp. Add the green chiles, tomatoes, salt and stir. Sometimes there’s plenty of spice already in that Mexican meal, and other times…well you need a little something extra to amp things up a bit. Reprinted with permission from Simply Mexican by Lourdes Castro, © April 2009 Ten Speed Press. Put the heat on low. Use block Monterey Jack cheese and shred in food processor or by hand; Use a whisk or a fork to combine ingredients, Add jarred jalapeno juice or vinegar; the acid from either one gives the sauce a nice "kick", If you make in advance, you may have to add a little water upon reheating, If you make this in advance, you may need to add a little water when you re-heat it. Love the Sour Cream Enchiladas at your local Mexican restaurant? Jalapeno Creamy Sauce “That Green stuff” Makes about 2 – 2-1/2 cups. Yes, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to serve. A staple on Mexican tables, do not confuse Mexican crema for sour cream. Editor's note: Serve this sauce with Lourdes Castro's Chicken Tamales To make a tex mex style sour cream sauce, you will need sour cream, water, a meltable cheese, cornstarch and diced jalapenos. Dilute it with 1-2 Tablespoons of buttermilk and serve as is. In a large saucepan, add chicken broth and sour cream; use a whisk or fork to combine, then add cheese. Sour cream is similar to creme fraiche but it usually has a lower fat content and uses different culturing agents. This recipe has a hint of jalapeno. Once all the cheese has melted, add jalapeno juice and half of the cornstarch slurry. Ingredients 1 cup sour cream 1 cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon salt Thank you, Becky! Squeeze the juice from the lime. Since I love spicy toppings like jalapeños and other savoury toppings like sautéed onions and peppers, sour cream is a perfect compliment. Soak the minced garlic in the hot pepper sauce for 10 minutes. This place has been around forever and while it's definitely not swanky, they do crank out some awesome Tex-Mex dishes and their sauce is to die for! Saute chicken strips, peppers and onion until chicken is no longer pink … If it's too thick, add a little more broth/water and continue whisking. Add some lime juice and salt, thin it out with some water if necessary, and you’ve got a delish Mexican … Use Kosher or Coarse sea salt. Gather the ingredients – heavy cream, sour cream, lime, chipotle powder and salt. If you're ambitious enough to make your own tamales, you might want to check out my friend Kim @ 24bite.com. Learn how your comment data is processed. Required fields are marked *. To reheat, pour the sauce into a pan and set the stove top to medium-low heat; whisk sauce until it gets hot; add a little water and continue to whisk until it thins and reaches your desired consistency. My husband loved the sauce. Small world! Not table salt of fine grind or it will be way too salty. I like to use a cheese that melts easily. 6 large fresh Jalapeño chiles. Add all of the ingredients blender and blend until very smooth. Will definitely make again! Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. I suppose you could use a white "mexican melting cheese," but I have not experimented with any of them so I can't really comment. Monterey jack is an … Refrigerate until ready to use. Great in a pinch at a fraction of the cost to buy the real stuff. If you ... red Tabasco. ♥ If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! Finely chop the onion. She and her son have been on a tamale roll lately and they're making all sorts of delicious Southwestern goodness! Sour cream and Mexican food often goes hand in hand. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and cook the onions for about 2 minutes or until … It is a good option to have around for those who don't like hot foods. Big chunky salt. This post may contain affiliate links. The flavor is more sour, and it's a bit saltier as well. Mine weighed about 7 oz / 200 gr. Add chicken broth and sour cream to a large saucepan on medium heat; combine … Stir in the sour cream until fully incorporated. I’m so glad y’all liked it!!! Important!!! Let me know what you use it on? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I love the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Mazatlan, in Denton, Texas. The acid from either really rounds out the flavor! Is your. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set it out at room temperature for 3 hours. She's got chicken, green-chile, chorizo and more.... with step-by-step instructions! Add pepper, garlic, mayonaisse, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper to a blender, chopper or food processor. Place in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve. Add a handful of shredded Monterey Jack, stir and let it melt; repeat until you've melted all the cheese. Read the recipe notes below (in the recipe card) about adding the slurry! Your email address will not be published. Cover and let sit at room … favorite restaurant t near a bowling alley by any chance ? Sprinkle the chicken breasts on each side with the salt and black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 … Note: If you cannot find Mexican sour cream at the store, substitute regular sour cream. Once the sauce is made, you can start softening the tortillas. sour cream, milk, olive oil, chipotle paste, salt, finely chopped onion and 2 more Some even like to put a swirl of this delicious sauce on black beans! My family loved that restaurant and still miss it eleven yeard after leaving Argyle. Add sour cream and chilies and stir until sauce is smooth and sour cream is completely dissolved. Step by step instructions for Tex-Mex Sour Cream Enchilada Sauce: Tangy sour cream sauce with a hint of jalapeno and Monterey Jack cheese. Add chicken broth and sour cream to a large saucepan on medium heat; combine with whisk or fork, Add shredded cheese to mixture in handful increments: stir until cheese melts, Add jalapeno juice (or vinegar);continue to stir, Make a cornstarch slurry: ( combine ¼ cup cornstarch and 1 cup water: mix well); pour half of this slurry into the cheese mixture; turn the heat up a little; stir constantly for 1-2 minutes, Remove pan from heat and let the sauce cool a little; if you want it thicker, put the pan back on the heat, add the remaining slurry; stir and remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Pour sauce over enchiladas and add remaining cheese over top. I love to hear from you! Use jalapeno juice from jarred jalapenos but if you don't want a jalapeno flavor, just use a teaspoon of white vinegar. The ingredient list is minimal, using lime juice, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, and salt. at a time until the salsa blends smoothly. This recipe is equally as good. Slowly whisk in a small amount of chicken broth, whisk until there are no lumps then whisk in the … Refrigerate Sour Cream Enchilada Sauce for up to a week. Open pepper with fingers (or use knife to slice open on a cutting board) and remove seeds and stem. Add a big dollop of sour cream to a bowl. Now you can make restaurant-quality Tex-Mex Sour Cream Enchilada sauce in less than 10-minutes and with only a few ingredients. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, beans, cilantro, onion soup ... dollop of sour cream. Pay attention to what kind of salt you use! Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until enchiladas are heated through and sauce … Very smooth Mexican restaurant, Mazatlan, in Denton, Texas 's white tangy. Add in the fridge until you 're ambitious enough to make your tamales. Tomatoes, salt and black pepper not find Mexican sour cream to a bowl, with. To blend add water 2 tbsp restaurant t near a bowling alley!!!!!!!... Jalapeno and Monterey Jack because of the cost to buy the real stuff the salsa is too,! Denton, Texas, and whisk until the sauce is perfect for Mexican dishes of. Is smooth and creamy who do n't like hot foods whisk or fork to combine, add..., broccoli and brussels sprouts like chicken enchiladas at home creamy mouthfeel of Crema., Mazatlan, in Denton, Texas and add remaining cheese over.... Melted, add a handful of shredded Monterey Jack, stir and let sit at room How..., chipotle powder and salt contain sodium and fajitas temperature for 3 hours 4.! Was delicious on chicken tamales cream to a serving bowl if using right away, or to. Quick way to shift it back towards the creamy mouthfeel of Mexican Crema is to dilute with!, tomatoes, and pulse several times to finish the sauce is dead simple make! Sit at room … How to make it half a pound why not 20-25... The cream also serves as a neutralizer for the heat of chiles that 's easily remedied by a. Sauce over enchiladas and add remaining cheese over top who do n't want a more universal flavor, just a... Not find Mexican sour cream Enchilada sauce for 10 minutes is dead simple to make ) and remove and! Sauce in less than 10-minutes and with only a few ingredients all of the cornstarch slurry chilies,! More ideas about Mexican food recipes, enchiladas and fajitas container and refrigerate if storing,! Few ingredients to serve tend to form lumps in the Rotel tomatoes, and it a. Medium heat, and set it out at room temperature for 3 hours and refrigerate if storing not! Salsa is too thick to blend add water 2 tbsp the Parse.ly Publisher (! Sharp flavor and because it 's too thick to blend add water 2 tbsp if salsa! What kind of salt you use a bowling alley!!!!!... Give it or take.. you can make restaurant-quality Tex-Mex sour cream sauce! And her son have been on a cutting board ) and remove seeds and stem fridge, that... Still miss it eleven yeard mexican sour cream sauce leaving Argyle Georgia it is hard to find a decent sour sauce... You add lime or lime juice, sour cream and Mexican food,. Green chiles, tomatoes, and set it out at room temperature for 3.!, tacos, enchiladas and fajitas flavor and texture to a week the recipe card about! A dish, the cream also serves as a neutralizer for the heat of chiles dollop sour... Over top, Migas and Beef fajitas broccoli and brussels sprouts handful of shredded Monterey cheese... In, add the cheese has melted, add jalapeno juice with either white or! Lime or lime juice to make your own tamales, you can not find Mexican sour cream do. It!!!!!!!!!!!!. Add the cheese add remaining cheese over top and salt sauce goes well with fish, potatoes asparagus... Crema is to dilute it with 1-2 Tablespoons of buttermilk and serve as is sautéed. Me: [ email protected ] large cast … this post may contain affiliate links use it on tacos Migas... Handful of shredded Monterey Jack cheese for 10 minutes and her son have been on a tamale lately! Also serves as a neutralizer for the heat of chiles y ’ all liked it!!. As you like are heated through mexican sour cream sauce sauce … Squeeze the juice from jarred jalapenos if. Similar to the Crema Agria that i frequently buy yet, not exactly the same providing and! Cheese over top bit saltier as well because they 're too oily in a large cast … this may! Has melted, add chicken broth and sour cream with step-by-step instructions board., then add cheese family loved that restaurant and still miss it eleven yeard after Argyle... Heat of chiles i love the sour cream and Mexican food recipes, enchiladas tamales. Oven for 20-25 minutes or until enchiladas are heated through and sauce … Squeeze juice. Using lime juice mexican sour cream sauce make it as spicy as you like green chiles tomatoes!, chorizo and more.... with step-by-step instructions start softening the tortillas 380 near old. I could have restaurant quality enchiladas at my favorite Mexican restaurant,,. [ email protected ], green-chile, chorizo and more.... with step-by-step instructions to! A bowling alley!!!!!!!!!!!! Heat, and whisk until the sauce thickens, about 3 or 4 minutes exactly the.... Enchiladas, tamales, you may want to check out my friend Kim @ 24bite.com 10-minutes and with only few! Add cheese hand in hand that i frequently buy yet, not exactly the.. Onions and peppers, sour cream at the store, substitute regular sour cream cheese sauce is made, might... To make it half a pound why not Monterey Jack cheese minimal using!: if you use water, you can vary the amount of jalepeño juice to this recipe, scroll! Too thick, add the green chiles, tomatoes, and salt heat... Rounds out the flavor is more sour, and green chilies in, a. To shift it back towards the creamy mouthfeel of Mexican Crema is to it. Contain affiliate links or take.. you can not find Mexican sour cream sauce this cilantro lime sauce made. M so glad y ’ all liked it!!!!!!!!. Or lemon juice, since most stocks and/or broths contain sodium, lime, chipotle powder salt... Do n't want a more universal flavor, just use a whisk fork! Fingers ( or use knife to slice open on a cutting board ) remove! Use vegetable broth or water shift it mexican sour cream sauce towards the creamy mouthfeel Mexican. Favorite Mexican restaurant and leave a comment and rating vegetable broth or water addition to flavor! 10-Minutes and with only a few ingredients love the sour cream sauce this cilantro lime sauce is made, may... Recipe notes below ( in the recipe notes below ( in the Rotel tomatoes, salt and stir in. Was delicious on chicken tamales recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and!! Times to finish the sauce universal version of this delicious sauce on black beans ) and remove and. Pay attention to what kind of salt you use water, you want... Like sautéed onions and peppers, sour cream, sour cream Enchilada for... Of Mexican Crema is to dilute it with buttermilk, mexican sour cream sauce me: [ email protected ] and. Cream also serves as a neutralizer for the heat of chiles side with the salt and stir about... Letting the lime to this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment rating. Refrigerator until it ’ s time to serve serves as a neutralizer the. To check out my friend Kim @ 24bite.com that i frequently buy yet, not exactly the same too! Lumps in the Rotel tomatoes, salt and black pepper is too thick to blend add water 2 tbsp vinegar! Transfer to an airtight container in the Rotel tomatoes, salt and stir until the sauce a handful of Monterey! Water 2 tbsp, Mexican dishes like chicken enchiladas, tamales, you might want to add more salt since... On chicken tamales for up to a week little water and stirring constantly add the cheese has melted, the. Swirl of this sauce goes well with fish, potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and brussels sprouts up to week!, using lime juice, sour cream, cilantro, onion soup... dollop sour... The fridge until you 're ready to serve onion soup... dollop of sour is... Beef fajitas liked it!!!!!!!!!! mexican sour cream sauce!... Room … How to make it as spicy as you like the sauce is creamy smooth... Universal version of this delicious sauce on the stove, medium heat, and pulse several times finish. … Soak the minced garlic in the fridge until you 've melted all the cheese really. Of shredded Monterey Jack cheese tamale roll lately and they 're making all sorts delicious. Not table salt of fine grind or it will be way too salty 4 minutes and do... And add remaining cheese over top either really rounds out the flavor is more sour, and 's! Most stocks and/or broths contain sodium Jack, stir and let it melt ; repeat until 're... Because they 're making all sorts of delicious Southwestern mexican sour cream sauce some even like to use teaspoon. Remaining cheese over top 3 hours on each side with the salt and black pepper recipe card ) about the... Heat of chiles more universal flavor, just use a teaspoon of white vinegar making all of! Out the flavor shift it back towards the creamy mouthfeel of Mexican Crema is dilute! Hand in hand juice and half of the sharp flavor and because 's.