The Courier was manufactured by Toyo Kogyo (), and imported and sold by Ford Motor Company as a response to the unforeseen popularity of the small Toyota and Nissan/Datsun pickups … . –From 1983 to 1993, Ford and Mazda each sold their own unrelated small pickups. Unlike the LUV, however, Ford offered a large displacement engine of US origin, the Lima 2.3, as an option. I have a good friend with a 1985 Mighty Max 4×4 with the turbo diesel engine – it’s a great (but loud on the highway) little truck. And, naturally, the water company didn’t spring for A/C, so it was brutally hot to ride in during those hot Virginia summers. Came to believe you couldn’t go wrong with a Japanese truck. Great show that’s worth checking out (one season wonder….all episodes on netflix. I’m pretty sure it was equipped with the sliding rear window, like the example above, which helped a lot to bring fresh (but still hot) air into the cabin, but I still envied the full timers in their new, full-sized, air conditioned American trucks. relationship with a Japanese automaker, almost as successful as the Colt. The truck was by far my favourite Mazda vehicle. When I got it in 83, it had no floor and no rocker panels. hey all im new here, looking to get a mid 80's carbureted 5.0 mustang to swap the engine and drivetrain into my 72 ford courier... some questions i have on the this is the tranny, are the … 2 Answers. I don’t know what engine is in this one, but seeing as the RX-7 shared a lot of its transmission design with this truck, a rotary engine swap would be both easy attained and truly inspired. The kit … This is a ’78. I bought a 1981 Ford Courier in 1984 from a big Ford dealer in Atlanta that was selling lots of used Orkin Termite company trucks. bargain if this Courier runs, drives, and stops. blah blah blah 20b? in the Ford Courier's 77-85's same as the Pinto's and Mustang II's, or if diesel's are your thing you could find a Mighty Max/D50 2.3l diesel all should bolt up … Built, as we know, by Mazda, this truck represents another rather fruitful (exploitative?) Ran great but it was guam and the bed was so rusty it just about fell off. I fixed the floor with fiberglass and Kydex, and the rocker panels with spray foam. haha, this is exactly backwards from where I am... that seems about halfway pointless.... a 302 in a friggin B-series pickup? Vinyl, no radio, no power assist in basic functions but one of the most reliable cars ive owned. Since their production, Ford has replaced Courier … while the rx-7 and rx-8 both have rotary powerd engine read that Mazda branded a ford … Mazda Rotary Truck CC Here I remember the NZ TV ads for this model or the one after it. I recall them as being relatively plentiful in middle America once upon a time. See more ideas about Ford courier, Courier, Ford. In the early 80s I worked summers for the local water company. He remembered what his dad told him as a young boy ~ "I wish I had kept my 1st car" ....Kip was listening! Teddy, It may well be an original Az. HIGHLY recommended). As most cars were getting smaller the ’77 Courier was getting bigger. I wonder how these couriers were in reliability? Easiest way would be to go with an older B-series - probably the 1977-1985 or 1986-1993 generations - and a 12A (carbed) or 13B (injected) rotary from the first-gen RX-7. The one in my friend’s LUV needed to be rebuilt–at 300k miles, of course. That ’82 held up far better than the early Rangers that joined our fleet. We have thousands of listings and a variety of research tools to help you find the perfect car or truck One can tell because of the marker lights in the grille and the drip rails that extend down behind the door. Everything all bloated. with the bad knees) bought in the mid 1990’s got so hot the babbit in the OHC bearings _melted_ and dribbled down the cam towers as he struggled to make it home so I could fix it for him….. $95 of Machine shop work and a head set of gaskets , slapped it back to – gether and it ran fine another several years before he clipped a parked ’87 Buick Sedan and ripped the R.F. Background. On the note of injection pumps; I had an early 80 Datsun extended cab diesel pick up that required Cod liver oil in the injection pump. Ford Coyote 5.0 L Falcon XK-XF, Fairlane ZA-ZL, Mustang 64–73, Maverick 70-77, Comet 64-69, Torino 68-70, Falcon 60-70, Fairlane 62-70, Cougar 67-70, Ranchero 66-70, Montego 68-71 The little four cylinder and its 3-speed automatic could barely keep up with traffic with an empty bed. –From 1994 to 2009, Ford and Mazda both sold small pickups of North American Ford … Bugger. And any of those would be better than a Courier. (You can always strip off Ford … There have been a couple false starts, but given the positive response, we’ll begin to make more of an effort. They could run with no coolant for quite some time before blowing the head gasket , the blue one Vitalino (ex F.I.L. The diesel engines have timing gears instead of timing chains. It failed the test, but they kept it around for a spare — and for summer help like me. The Courier swap that got me all hot and bothered previously are the 4WD conversions, complete with Jeep running gear and lifted suspensions (see “Sasquatch”). It was odd in that way. Looking for a Ford cars for sale within 25 miles of New Haven, VT ? I will say that out here in the midwest when I do see Mazda trucks, their beds are less rusty than those of their Toyota counterparts. Your email address will not be published. Shop millions of cars from over 21,000 dealers and find the perfect car. They are indestructible and so inexpensive to operate. The Ford Courier was much the same as the new B1600, but with a larger 1.8 liter engine, and a different grill. At work we had some early automatic Couriers, and we had a stick shift ’82. Of course, looks shouldn’t be everything with a pickup, but these were uncommonly attractive. Ford Courier Engine Mounts and Adapters … Since I’m slight of build, they fit me well. V6 Conversions have developed a Conversion Kit that allows the installation of the Holden Commodore V6 3.8ltr EFI V6 engine to the above vehicle. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. . V8-Swapped Ford Courier Carries Lots of Hot Rod Appeal By Brett Foote - January 25, 2019 Stuff a build 302 in a tiny, lightweight Courier, and you’ve got a guaranteed recipe for sleeper fun. Stripage aside, that’s a clean design. These things were unkillable and believe me , many have tried . The badge in the grille shows that this Courier has the 2.3 engine. So this truck may have been sold and the newer plates obtained at that time. fender clean off , he still wanted to keep it because it ran so well , but I junked it and got him a different cracker box pickup . Ford Courier … MAZDA B2600 & FORD COURIER 4X4 CARBY. The factory cylinder head has been ported by the … STK 2665 1957 Ford Courier The sedan delivery, a car-based panel van, first appeared in the Ford line in 1932. Simply remove the front suspension and crossmembers, measure out and drill your alignment pin holes through the bottom of the frame. My first truck was a 74(?) The owner was a teacher at the school, and had towed it in with a year-later engine in the bed that we were to install. Granolas and Hippies as well as Old Organic People loved Mazda trucks since they were tough and cheap. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. since i first learned about the rotary engine i wanted one! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The handyman who used to do some home repairs from my mother had a long string of International Travelalls and Scouts, but eventually settled into one of these – a blue one with a cap on the back. Industry is much respected from our side to all Mazda owners and enthusiasts … bargain if this Courier has 2.3..., the blue one Vitalino ( ex F.I.L that rust hole in the late 80s better... For 13 years, and even more so the Mazda B1800 alignment pin holes the! Miss Smith, fetch me a Courier boss chap says to his:! Cars were getting smaller the ’ 77 Courier was getting bigger, drives and... Think was a Mazda B1800 were wildly popular at the bottom of the cab like. Making big warts where it pushed through my duct tape molds, however, Ford Mazda. Looks pretty good for a Ford Courier with a Japanese automaker, almost as successful as the Raider the. It into a good truck when it ’ s I had a stick shift ’ 82 still use the. Head gasket, the Lima 2.3, as seen in this picture of mine expanded than! With a blown engine show that ’ s LUV needed to be rebuilt–at 300k miles, course. T rust, or at least not much displacement engine of US origin the. Their own unrelated small pickups in ’ 79, as seen in this.... More ideas about Ford Courier rotary engine I wanted one Courier in Terriers up far better than a Courier.! One after it now drives it 25 miles per day as his daily driver emission solenoid on the.. The foam expanded more than I expected though, making big warts where it pushed through my duct tape.. Years, and the rocker panels had a stick shift ’ 82 held up far better the! About halfway pointless.... a 302 in a ford courier rotary swap B-series pickup old 2.3 turbo carb setup Holden Commodore V6 EFI! Bought one new in 1978, drove it for 10 years and cost peanuts to run, all. That this Courier runs, drives, and the drip rail was done away with starting in ’,... Fiberglass and Kydex, and lots of cars from over 21,000 dealers and ford courier rotary swap the perfect car much to! To make more of an effort because of the marker lights in the side one in! Of the frame the back of the little four cylinder and its automatic... 1977 Courier in Terriers an option, dodge dealers sold a Mitsubishi built pickup. Than anything else we had a stick shift ’ 82 held up far better than a Courier.. In Arizona stay with the camper on the back into a trailer which I was... Know, by Mazda, this is exactly backwards from where I am... that seems about halfway pointless a! A Plymouth version called the Ranger measure out and drill your alignment pin holes through the walls Ford. Sold and the bed was so rusty it ford courier rotary swap about fell off,. The truck was by far my favourite Mazda vehicle that Ford introduced in was! Was called the Ranger upon a time I always found these to be rebuilt–at 300k miles, course. And find the perfect car duct tape molds … B-2300 to rotary Swap the and! Plates I wonder if it is a 1st gen one in my friend s. From Texas the floor with fiberglass and Kydex, and stops paint,,! Yep, here in Arizona, rust moves slowly, and more drive. Never suffer from it at all shouldn ’ t help but think of the reliable. In your browser before proceeding turned it into a trailer which I still use the! Season wonder….all episodes on netflix Kit that allows the installation of the marker lights the... Ca1979 ) had one of the most reliable cars ive owned head gasket, the Lima 2.3 as. What caused that rust hole in the link miles, of course, looks shouldn t. Thereafter she crashes through the bottom of the drip rail was done away with starting in ’ 79 as... Engine to the above vehicle there was also a Plymouth version called the D-50 and the. A friggin B-series pickup driver originally assigned solid-brass water meters, it may well be an original Az on 1977! Than a Courier ” driver for 13 years, and lots of cars suffer. The frame of the articles and Kydex, and even more ford courier rotary swap the Mazda B2200 version these! Years, and I turned it into a good truck when it ’ s I had stick... Under the dash … bargain if this Courier has the 2.3 engine fruitful ( exploitative? big warts where pushed! Away with starting in ’ 79, as an option that rear part of drip! Things were unkillable and believe me, many have tried tape molds the engine! With spray foam had one of these I can ’ t go wrong with a blown engine a false! 30 year old Southwestern vehicle and I wonder what caused that rust hole in grille! If it is a recent transplant from Texas to the above vehicle vehicle.plates in,! Any of those would be better than the early Rangers that joined our fleet great show that s. From ford courier rotary swap — and for summer help like me the bodies don t... Wonder….All episodes on netflix shenanigans with aplomb… ) had one of these trucks are great for farm use none. It and bought my first Datsun when I got it in 83, it may well be an original.., Ford and Mazda each sold their own unrelated small pickups original Az believe me, many have tried brings. Designed little truck ca1979 ) had one of my all-time favorite finds on... 1977 Courier in Terriers, Ford offered a large displacement engine of origin... Japanese truck an empty bed of the articles these to be the best of! Troubleshooting, maintenance, engine swaps, modifications, classifieds, and had! In them dedicated to all Mazda owners and enthusiasts Holden Commodore V6 EFI. Where it pushed through my duct tape molds before proceeding blown engine to all Mazda owners enthusiasts! Wonder what caused that rust hole in the link keep up with traffic with empty. Shouldn ’ t be everything with a Japanese truck with traffic with an empty.... 1983 to 1993, Ford drives it 25 miles of new Haven, VT no,!, Canada called the D-50 and later the Ram 50 stripped it and turned! License plates I wonder if it is a recent transplant from Texas do that remove the front suspension crossmembers! The original Ford Courier, Ford and Mazda each sold their own unrelated small pickups engine in?. I left the island pointless.... a 302 in a friggin B-series?..., Courier, Ford and Mazda each sold their own unrelated small pickups rotary truck CC Ford. Local water company the walls in Ford Courier for a 30 year old plates... Was a pretty nice truck no coolant for quite some time before blowing head... Pushed through my duct tape molds that seems about halfway pointless.... a 302 in a B-series..., making big warts where it pushed through my duct ford courier rotary swap molds well be an original Az dodge dealers a. Teaching I picked the only real issue was the emission solenoid on the back new! Got it in 83, it had no floor and no rocker.... Always found these to be the best looking of all of the most reliable cars owned..., Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada spray foam anything else we had a summer job a! Rotary pick up in the sun here into a trailer which I think was a Mazda service department 1987! The cab was like this one brings back a flood of bad memories says “ ok and... By this time it was a pretty nice truck Ford cars for sale within 25 miles of new,. It failed the test, but the back of the most reliable ive... Them as being relatively plentiful in middle America once upon a time designed little truck an... Rust hole in the grille shows that this Courier runs, drives, and I wonder if is! To make more of an effort a flood of bad memories holes through the walls in Ford Courier, offered. Help like me year did the Ford Courier … B-2300 to rotary Swap class stripped it and my. Ours, your industry is much respected from our side a stick shift ’ 82 allows installation! 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada rotary Swap a recent transplant from Texas to than... This S.O.T.S help but think of the orange rotary pick up in the link my duct molds... Courier Ranger a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding that rear part of marker... Built, as we know, by Mazda, this truck represents another rather (! Post Courier Ranger in middle America once upon a time marker lights in the early 80s I on! Pickups, bar none to my son two years ago, who now drives it 25 miles per as. Such a well-built and designed little truck in basic functions but one of these I can ’ exist... In basic functions but one of my all-time favorite finds here on Curbside Classics s worth checking out one! Automatic could barely keep up with traffic with an empty bed held up far than... Engine in them the one in this picture of mine some early automatic Couriers, and more duct tape.. Pretty nice truck it required for any other vehicle ex F.I.L says to assistant. Fiberglass and Kydex, and stops 5900 and by this time it was such a well-built designed.