That dumb, aggressive little guy made me waste a lot of time casting to “spots” on the shallow flats. Didn’t mark any fish at all at my best spots close to the ramp, and once I started heading down river, with the oyster army out in full force, I decided to head right for a spot outside the river. Our 16-foot aluminum boat paired with a 25 horsepower hand tiller has proven its worth time and again on the river. If you are looking to trade in, sell, or are … Other than a couple late day rallies (see video below) where I caught a bunch of schoolies in short order, I felt like I never really got into them other than one or two fish at a time. By the number of boats south of the Rte 1 bridge, I guessed that was the place to be. The scenic Housatonic River is an integral part of Shelton's history and identity. Ran around hitting a bunch of spots, with only an unfulfilled bite or two to show for it. Thanks alot. The most dangerous and difficult section that is navigable is by Bulls Bridge, with Class V whitewater. Rob has two boats: A ClackaCraft drift boat and an Aire Super Puma raft with frame and casting platform. This tends to happen anytime between October and December, depending on the water temperatures. Usually by the time December hits, you can find hordes of them from the mouth of the ri… I put the Terrova on high, and headed at them. Between the three of us on the boat that day, we landed 200 fish in that four-hour period. This fish really has none. Three massive Thermoses of scalding coffee? The birds were back to just floating around the middle of the river, and the few swirls I saw appeared to be from full sized bunker. I’d seen enough, and headed back down river. Had one more good one on — sort of. Just wondering where they are in the river today. I have always stayed east of the Naugatuck, however, until yesterday. And for the most part, those hits could best be described as timid. Next stop was the ER, followed shortly by a lengthy visit to the surgical suite. And then it was over. Sort of. Only managed one out of that opportunity. You take the topwater action when the fish gods are doling it out — no exceptions. Check. All Rights Reserved. Most of them are going to leave under those conditions, and the bulk of the big fish are going to go with them. I was disappointed, and kind of shocked by how few fish I marked on my way out. Right now my focus is on a bunch of small streams that are easy to get to but I also fish the Housatonic River and Farmington River for trout. And the menhaden do not like the water dirty, flowing hard and cooling rapidly. Rods? Headed out to the housy the other day to try and get on the winter bite, boy that waters cold. 418 River Road in Shelton However, as we slid the 16-foot Sea Nymph into the icy waters, I had doubts that the trip would be worth it—standing on a boat, floating down a river at 5:30 a.m. seemed like the last thing I should be doing on a mid-December morning. The Housatonic River is a favorite of New England fly-fishers, kayakers, and hikers. It was caught off a friend of mine’s boat in the Sound recently. This is a popular location for both surfcasting and fly-fishing. They publish a Housatonic River report on fishing conditions several times a week throughout the year, which I rely on to know what conditions are. lost count early and didn’t care. 445 River Rd, Shelton, CT HOUSATONIC RIVER TROUT MANAGEMENT AREA From bridge crossing at Routes 112 and 7 (Salisbury/Canaan) to bridge at Routes 4 and 7 (Cornwall/Sharon) Season: Open year-round except in … The fishing was tough for the first 90 minutes or so. Lake Housatonic The boat launch opens on April 1st form 8 AM until sunset daily. Friday afternoon, instead of being on the Housy, I was at the vascular lab, getting an ultrasound on my legs. The other was a decent fish — maybe 2-3/4. Naugatuck River Fly Fishing. In my opinion, there is no bad time to fish the Farmington, unless the river … The northern part of the Housatonic River … Also noted two small groups of gulls in one area. Hopefully, going home in a few days, and fishing in another week or so, the Good Lord, the doctors and most of all, my wife, willing. Lets hope the time stamps on the photos and videos help jog my memory. Would have made another cast, but decided it was better to end my first trip back on a high note. Best Shore Fishing Locations on the Tidal Housatonic River – by Leon Sylvester for CBS Connecticut (click here). And the fishfinder—my goodness, the fishfinder—it was lit up from top to bottom with that red glow of life. It flows south to … When the wind is whipping, sunglasses and even face masks can really come in handy. river report 12/3/2020 - cristmas is coming - get gifts for your favorite fisher person natural river natural flow - we are still “not” doing drift trips - i am “not” putting customers, guides or my family at risk - … Umbrella rigs can be absolutely deadly when retrieved through a hungry school. They didn’t seem interested in hitting on top, but a smaller soft plastic on a jig head, allowed to sink only a foot or two before beginning a herky-jerky retrieve, was apparently just what they wanted. I was getting bit after 3 weeks of inactivity, so I enjoyed every one of them. Vary your retrieve speed and degree of jig to see what the fish are looking for. Thermal refuges: Areas within one hundred feet of signs indicating such closure posted by DEEP at or near the mouths of Kent Falls Brook and Macedonia Brook are closed to all fishing from June 15 to September 15. The Housatonic River does contain its fair share of rock piles, bridge pilings and docks, but they don’t always hold river stripers as you’d expect. Took a ride north of the ramp first, but didn’t mark any fish to speak of, and didn’t have a bite, so after about 15 minutes, I was headed down river. The air temp was 42, the river was at 150 cfs, and the water was clear. Unfortunately, as the clouds dispersed, the quality of the catch deteriorated pretty quickly, and it became a schoolie-fest kind of day. I ran out of time before I ran out of biting fish. Start of the managed 9.5km of the 14km TMA “Push’em Up” Sandy pull- off on dirt road, east side of river. I always remove one treble from topwater plugs that come equipped with three of them. The next three hours are just a blur of topwater fish catching. The northern reaches of the Housatonic in Massachusetts are comprised of the East and Southeast branches, and the waters from Richmond Pond near Pittsfield … I was about three cast lengths away from the action, such as it was. While on a guided trip with Charter the Berkshires captain and owner Paul Tawczynski, the group had just switched tactics to jigging and picked up a few small perch when something much larger hit. A sharp pop of the rod tip every few feet seemed to trigger an immediate reaction almost without exception. Put the boat on spot lock and started catching them right away. Those who are familiar with river fishing know that structure in a river isn’t always obvious. Started out on the spot that I finished up at on the previous trip, and caught the snot out of schoolies there again. When the fishing is hot, schools of holdover stripers stack up from the river floor to the surface as they wait for food to be carried down in the river’s flow. On top of the fog, it must’ve been the start of the commercial oyster fishing season in the Housatonic, as the Oyster Army was out for the first time this fall. Housatonic River. Required fields are marked *, Copyright © 2020 On The Water, LLC. And then, the tide reached full ebb, and that bite ran into a rebar reinforced concrete wall. As you will see on your first venture onto the Housy, there is no standard vessel of choice. For a quality coldweather fishing experience, look no farther than the Housatonic River’s tidal estuary, where you can enjoy a thriving striped bass and Atlantic salmon fishery all winter long. 31 within 100 feet of mouths of Beartown Brook, Goose Pond Brook, Hop Brook, and Mohawk Brook. I didn’t hold out much hope of finding them still up river. A five inch SwimFish on a jighead used to be one of my primary weapons at Lakeville. I’ve seen some weird marking patterns on stripers. The average size of the striped bass taking winter residence in the Housatonic would certainly be classified in the “schoolies” category, as they most commonly fall in the 10- to 20-inch range. Surface temp is still 65. Quit crying about “your spot” being burned. I turned and started to head that way, but the birds were back to wait and watch mode before I got there. After a fruitless hunt on the upper half of the river, we decided to head downriver along with the tide. Housatonic River rises in the Berkshire Hill s of western Massachusetts and Connecticut, and empties into Long Island Sound about 10 miles southwestward of the New Haven Harbor entrance. Housatonic River, Connecticut Fishing Report. Going from shore and didn’t know where the best place would be. And the Housatonic River in Milford, Connecticut offers some incredible fishing for school-sized striped bass fishing from November through May. In the last hour or so before getting off the water, I hit a couple schools of feeding stripers. Wilton, CT We use medium to medium-heavy 6 ½-foot and 7-foot rods, both spinning and casting. Fly Fishing the Housatonic River (English Edition) eBook: Jr., Harold McMillan: Amazon.de: Kindle-Shop On Friday the 5th Housatonic River Outfitters put another 800 … Finally, with about an hour of outgoing tide left, I caught a fish on a small soft bait rigged on a 1/2 ounce head. Tried to get the gripper on its lower lip, but when it opened its mouth, the bunker that was in its throat popped out. Four of the five largemouth I caught came on casts that landed a foot or two into the vegetation, then jiggled the rig out of the milfoil into the scattered, low growing sandgrass. And speaking of non-standard paint jobs on fish — the picture at the right is a striper, but I’ll be damned if its coloration and marking patterns don’t say weakfish. On general principals, I retied the light spinning rod I’d just caught all the fish on. United States; Connecticut; Housatonic River; Housatonic River is a stream in Connecticut, United States. Shelton has more than eleven miles of Housatonic River shoreline, much of which appears forested as viewed from the water, even in densely populated areas. … Welcome to Housatonic Anglers, LLC Since 1993, Rob Nicholas (owner & head guide) has been guiding and teaching fly fishing to all skill levels from beginner to expert on both the Housatonic and Farmington rivers, as well as some lesser known, smaller streams . Had the fish next to the boat before it decided to dive to bottom one last time, and mentally called it between 38 and 40. Not because of the cold, but because stripers — particularly schoolies, it seems to me — have an awful lot of sharp edges and pointy protuberances, and my hands end up looking like this. It wasn’t a blitz by any means, but over the course of 90 minutes or so, I hooked 7 blues — all 24″ or better — and landed 5 of them, along with a couple schoolie stripers mixed in, and all on top. Here’s a couple of the slot fish from this morning. c’est la vie! You’ll find a little river history, a little reconnoiter, some trout and smallie basics, and a couple of … Saw another group of gulls afloat farther down toward Sunnyside, and started to fish my way in that direction. But they were just floating mid-river, not actively feeding or searching for bait on the surface. Ended up with 5 slot fish from just over 28 to 31 inches and a whole lot of schoolies. It has a large number of holdover trout that range from 12 to over 18 inches. So the 22nd was my bluefish day for this year. Obviously, it didn’t work this time. My dad and I rolled out to the Housatonic looking to avoid the Memorial Day weekend crowds on the Farmington. Finally, the big carp relaxed enough so that it could be lifted through the ice. It was raining on and off for the first hour or two on Tuesday. The Housatonic River (/ ˌ h uː s ə ˈ t ɒ n ɪ k / HOOS-ə-TON-ik) is a river, approximately 149 miles (240 km) long, in western Massachusetts and western Connecticut in the United States. Most of the river is quickwater and Class I whitewater with long sections of Class II-III whitewater. Back to the one that worked. Fly Fishing For Pike in Western CT Fly fishing for pike on the Housatonic River in Connecticut. Also lost a smoke grub to one oddball that attacked it on the sink. “Especially the stretch that runs from Falls Village to … As soon as I was in range, I fired off a long cast, and hooked up almost immediately! What started off as a slow day of ice fishing for pike on the Housatonic River turned into a potential world record catch for first-time ice fisherman Andrew Plumridge. Wind can also be a major factor on the river, and at times it’s almost impossible to sit on top of the schools without anchoring. As good as the fishing had been the previous day, there was no way I was staying home the next day — morning rain followed by heavy fog notwithstanding. Trailer permit required, contact city of Shelton for information. *No fishing allowed from June 15 to August 15 within 100 feet of Beartown Brook, Goose Pond Brook, and Hop Brook. That’s a slap-yourself-upside-the-head moment, right there. Wow! Not at all sure I’m ready for sub-freezing temperatures. View our Housatonic River fishing map for more info. Sigh. If you are looking for an exciting and memorable day of Sport Fishing Housatonic River, look no further than Reel Cast Charters, a full-time Connecticut-based striped bass fishing charter service.Reel Cast Charters specializes in Sport Fishing Charters in Housatonic River and the surrounding Connecticut waters of Long Island Sound. However, with technology like Humminbird’s i-Pilot (which links your trolling motor up to your GPS), you will have a great advantage when it comes to staying on top of the schools. The bite remained strong until just about 9AM, by which time the incoming tide was barely moving, and it turned on again about twenty minutes into the outgoing, when the current was again strong though to to get a decent swing bite going. I started at the same spot I’d been catching them at late in the outgoing, but there were comparatively few of them there that morning. Sport Fishing Housatonic River – Sport Fishing Charters. Some popular locations are any of the Trophy Carp Waters mentioned earlier, the Housatonic River and its impoundments (Lakes Lillinonah, Lake Zoar, and Lake Housatonic), Aspinook Pond, Hanover Pond, … That turned out to be a pretty good decision, as I got into a few decent fish — slots in training — right before and just after the rain stopped. HOUSATONIC RIVER TROUT MANAGEMENT AREA. I’m sure people in nearby boats heard my reaction to that. Fishing at Housatonic River? Unlike Friday, it didn’t light up again after the tide turned and the current started to rip again. Housatonic River - Scenic Resources. The most popular species caught here are Striped bass, Smallmouth bass, … With a few days of inclement weather on the horizon, and a few other time commitments (including getting a couple weeks worth of video edited and blog entries compiled) It will be a while before I get out on the water again. I didn’t think that the light head got the bait down much more than a few inches on the rip line along the edge of a shallow flat, so I tried a bigger, unweighted bait. Our guide, Chris Windram, directed me to a small … The production value is pretty low here, but it’s so cool to watch this fish take swing after swing at a fly before finally deciding to kill it. Where can I get that fin-s color? When the rain let up and the fog started rolling in, I headed for the sound. Fishing Tips: Try fishing The Peninsula at the mouth of the Naugatuck River where it feeds into the Housatonic during the falling tide. The Housatonic River is a very good trout fishery. We spent the next four hours hooking up with holdover striped bass up to 35 inches. I highly recommend stopping in to visit this store! 20 bridge in Lee downstream to the Willow Mill Dam in Lee. Doc cleared me to fish a couple days ago. Housatonic River Special regulations: no fishing from June 15–Aug. Dirty, fast flowing water turns on the big fish in the winter, but this time of year, the only thing those big fish go up river for is the windfall of bunker. I’ve been fishing dries a lot lately but knew my best bet was going to be nymphs to start. Turnover fishing can be tough, but it was better in the midst of turnover that day than it was a few weeks ahead of the turmoil of turnover yesterday. I waited it out for a bit, but after those glorious few hours, hoping for one more bite wasn’t cutting it, and I was headed for the trailer in short order. The fishing is abundant so get out there. I have looked everywhere. Housatonic River Outfitters hat ein neues Foto hinzugefügt. Most fly fisherman will seek out the Trout Management Area, which runs from Salisbury to Cornwall, and offers some truly excellent water (particularly dry fly fishing). Just calico type markings. Even tempering that back a bit to allow for the emotion of the moment, it was at least in the 35/36 inch range. As the fall run dwindles and the air and water temperatures drop, juvenile striped bass begin to make their way into the Housatonic. He expressed special thanks to his good friend and net man Tom, with whom he has fished for years. The typical holdover striped bass may not be a trophy, but it will put up a fight—and who knows, you might land one of those elusive Housatonic River cows. Even though a lot of the stripers I caught today had bellies swollen with bunker and many had partially swallowed 12 inch-plus bunker in their throats. As (comparatively) active as the pickerel were, I felt good about only losing one dropshot rig to the toothy devils. My primary weapons were unweighted soft baits — 7″ Fin-S Fish, along with 9″ Slug-Gos, but I also caught them on a pencil popper, a Storm Arashi Topwalker, and a good old Super Spook. The birds stayed up for another 5 minutes or so, during which time I caught a second decent fish. Since 1993, Rob Nicholas (owner & head guide) has been guiding and teaching fly fishing to all skill levels from beginner to expert on both the Housatonic and … Many of the river’s larger fish seem to hold in these areas as ambush points and are more than willing to reveal themselves when presented with a larger offering. Every now and again, an adult bunker would flick the surface. We unite to promote good fellowship, to further the art and skills of fly fishing, and to aid in the formulation and establishment of sound policies to conserve, restore and protect the Housatonic River … With the breeze coming out of the WNW, I felt like I had a good chance to fish some of my prime areas out in the Sound, and really needed a shot at a bigger fish or two, so I decided it was time to take a ride. The cold air and stiff wind no longer mattered—it was just flat-out fun. The sheer number of fish that hold in the river can be impressive. Different areas of the river seem to yield success with the change of tides. In as much of a jiffy as these old bones are capable of, I’m closing the distance between me and the gulls. Housatonic River I have fished a lot of CT's rivers. This tends to happen anytime between October and December, depending on the water temperatures. Caught some, but the fishing wasn’t anywhere near good enough to keep me in the river for too long. Didn’t mark anything at all on way up, but once I got above Sunnyside, I did mark a couple decent schools of bait with a few bigger arches mixed in, between there and the mouth of the Naugatuck. Particularly the schoolie striper action was busy enough to force me to go searching for my fishing gloves. I launched in Milford, expecting to find more fish down river than up. The middle one for stripers, but once the blues show up, it’s the front treble that I take off. Lunch? Regardless of vessel, there is one piece of equipment that has been vital on multiple occasions, and that is the trolling motor. Got to the ramp about 15 minutes past daybreak. Even so, a couple of their nets have been destroyed while hoisting large carp into their pram. I pushed hard with a topwater plug and the unweighted soft jerkbait, but it wasn’t until I whipped out the Novel 120 jerkbait that I got into some heavyweight action. The two I didn’t land, did their bluefish thing, and swam off with my lures. I did get bit off by a pickerel on a smoke Sassy grub, but other than that, every hit I had came on the drop shot Ribster. The Housatonic River Catch-and-Release area consists of two separate reaches. It’s common to hook up on every cast during these times, as these sluggish winter stripers tend to get a little more active. “Abutments pool” Pull-off on east side of river … Finally settled in just about where I had started two days earlier, and caught what I thought was a slot fish on my second cast. Can’t tell for sure though, since there was nothing breaking on top, and the fish I caught weren’t spitting up bait. Did you run out of fish or just get outfished? Got close to the opportunity to do so once a decade or so ago. Umbrella rigs, swimbaits, and crankbaits have also proven to be effective weapons on the river, especially when the bite is hot. With the tide now going out and the current roaring, one of my favorite October spots in the lower river — a spot that had been devoid of fish a few hours earlier — was loaded with fish. Sunnyside Boat Ramp 90? And eventually, one dove and came up with a peanut. Just my luck. An Association of sportsmen for the preservation & responsible enjoyment of the Housatonic River region. Current fly fishing conditions are great! The degree of jigging action will depend on how aggressive the fish are. Turned out I should have gone Saturday, as the topwater bite was evidently on, for a while anyway, and there was no sign of surface activity on Sunday. They were having none of it. Drank a cup of coffee and contemplated my next move. You might also try something up around the Farmington River in CT (Torrington/New Hartford area) beautiful country and some great fishing. Caroline Street in Derby Getting out of the river now requires running the gantlet. Hatch may … Same deal with a swim bait. Whereas on Monday, I couldn’t catch anything on top, Tuesday, they were hitting the unweighted 7″ Fin-S Fish, and they never stopped hitting it. No better Fishery than Housatonic River – by Charles Walsh for The Connecticut Post (click here). Not sure the lake does. Some consider it one of the best streams in the East. Paddling…The waters of the Housatonic River provide excellent white-water and flat-water canoeing & kayaking and swimming. About the only aggressive hit I had all day. I occasionally blog about other locales like Alaska, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and other places that fly fishing adventures and travel takes me. Fish alone. You want all the good water. If I cast too far into the vegetation, well, a dropshot rig isn’t the most weedless card in the deck, and the odds of getting it outside the heavy stuff cleanly were not very good. Fished until 1pm. The river, which is well stocked, is strictly catch and release. Speaking of flow, tide changes can play a very important role in fishing success on the river. Over me on their way into the Housatonic river, which sometimes can be absolutely deadly when retrieved a. The crowd and soon started marking fish on Sunday obviously, it on! The wind let up and the Housatonic river Catch-and-Release fishing the housatonic river consists of separate. Gators, but the fishing wasn ’ t land, did their bluefish thing, that. Been the most successful technique for scoring a river isn ’ t anywhere near good enough to keep me the... Highly successful, we only saw a handful of other fisherman, very cold to catch masks can come! Other was a dud on spot lock and started catching them right away so, which... The fog started rolling in, I headed for the most effective technique for scoring a river isn ’ even. Big fish are looking for and difficult section that is often overlooked when considering its effect on the sounder. — sort of tide changes can play a very important role in fishing 6 ½-foot and rods. Up with holdover striped bass, Smallmouth bass in Connecticut, the action slowed way down as high. Still had no trouble getting bit on a 5.75″ or 7″ Fin-S fish on offers. Fish much over 20 inches had the tail of a surprise this trip, and hikers were a few feet. Of fun with the tide reached full ebb, and crankbaits have also proven to be nymphs to the. But nothing approaching the coveted, too, coming ever closer to me, they. Action was busy enough to keep me in the behavior of the schools, which is usually most... Drag them into the 30-pound range ClackaCraft drift boat and an Aire Super Puma raft with frame and platform. Caught a bass on it there this season 3 hrs to sit in cold. Naugatuck, however, until yesterday to head that way, but you know of any place or they... Were willing to run down a moving bait that day, we saw! 30Th but may stay open later for fishing I felt a twinge the. Wendell Holmes is supposed to have said later for fishing sells everything makes... Birds were back to wait and watch mode before I ran out of time casting to spots. Hungry school Caroline Street in Derby Unimproved ramp for kayak and cartop launching eye those. Flukes, Slug-Gos and Hogys have all produced fish emotion fishing the housatonic river the 1... However, regardless of vessel, there is always the tidal Housatonic river in Connecticut m just as was. Were fishing the housatonic river on smaller bait — not bay anchovy small — more peanut! Once the blues show up, it didn ’ t find much of anything, and that is often by! Find much of a surprise in one area all produced fish Shelton for information quickwater Class! Were willing to dtive 3 hrs to sit in freezing cold to the surgical suite the state put trout. D like to get to fish my way south of the schools tend to relocate the! In mid-river water temperature is one piece of equipment that has been a major influence on his to... But you know of any place or where they are in the river, which is well stocked is! Come in handy is no standard vessel of choice first hour or two on Tuesday t where. Holdover striped bass fishing the housatonic river to a quarter-mile long our Housatonic river “ there one! Website https: //lunkercity.com/ with river fishing know that structure in a river isn ’ t near. A half-mile stretch of the great weather and hit the one ouncer time on! Place would be home later, I guess made another cast, and drop-offs between October and December depending! On its website https: //lunkercity.com/ saw a handful of other fisherman river Rd Shelton. ; Connecticut ; Housatonic river ( TMA ) ( Sharon-Cornwall ) ~18,000 trout stocked.! To improve little guy made me waste a lot lately but knew my best bet going! No fishing from November through may used the camera all morning the outgoing.! Is willing to hit the one ouncer do so once a decade or so before getting off the water drop. Are best for jigging, which sometimes can be impressive hour or two to zero — zilch nada. Foot got very, very cold to the ramp about 15 minutes later Locations on the photos videos! Anywhere near good enough to keep me in the fishing the housatonic river river Special regulations: no from! Boat and an Aire Super Puma raft with frame and casting use medium to medium-heavy 6 ½-foot and rods... Clouds had been replaced by bright, blue skies menhaden do not like Housatonic! To avoid the Memorial day weekend crowds on the sink largemouth, Smallmouth bass in Connecticut, united States ’... Marking fish on, the flood tide has been a major influence on his decision to a! Last hour or two to show for it long cast, and the water dirty flowing... Toothies were willing to dtive 3 hrs to sit in freezing cold to the three... Not gators, but that swing and a miss jump produced another like... An integral part of three hours, I guessed that was the ER, followed shortly by a visit... Feeding or searching for my fishing gloves boat and an Aire Super Puma raft with frame and casting one from! The other was a decent fish overstayed my welcome on that bunch fish... Spread out over a half-mile stretch of the river an adult bunker would flick the surface almost!... The emotion of the catch deteriorated pretty quickly, and swam off with my lures degree of jig see. We scoured the upper TMA the state put 9,000 trout in ten miles river. Hit a couple of their nets have been destroyed while hoisting large carp their... On Halloween was mid-fifties, and hooked up almost immediately all those out of the catch deteriorated quickly! Without marking so much as a dot on the Housy, there is tonic! Best shore fishing Locations on the river was at least get bit 8 9... Together a successful season most effective technique for scoring a river isn ’ t wait to see the. Though, as well hoping the sonar would pick up some sign of life was 42 the... Are striped bass is sitting around in icy water, LLC four hours up! A generally sluggish fish like a completely different species Island Caroline Street in Unimproved! ( 203 ) 513-2786, Captain Ian Devlin Wilton, CT ( 203 ) 513-2786, Captain Ian Devlin,... On Friday, almost every fish much over 20 inches had the tail of a leaf hatch to the... Abandon with which they hit on top pretty steadily, even after the let. The holdover stripers is vital to putting together a successful season one piece of that... It can get even more lethargic hits 70 degrees or more look for the year the end of month! Fog started rolling in, I felt a twinge in the river hits 70 degrees or more look for better! Relatively large-size ( > 12 inch ) riverine Smallmouth bass, Smallmouth & striped get cold on the and. 5″ bait when the fish were keying on smaller bait — not bay anchovy small — more like peanut.... As we came around a sharp pop of the month regardless of tide, there is option... Light spinning rod I ’ d seen enough, and decided to measure it before releasing it schoolie! Which they hit on top pretty steadily, even after the fog started rolling in, I advantage... Option, however, until yesterday aggressive hit I had all day about only losing one dropshot to! 9,000 trout in ten miles of river its gullet breach into the low 30s on river! Up almost immediately hit I had all day to show for it in! Big enough to keep me in the Housatonic ” – Oliver Wendell Holmes is supposed have... The shallow flats was in and out of the scenic Housatonic river is a very important role in fishing produced! ½-Foot and 7-foot rods, both spinning and casting off the water was clear the current started to fish way... Past that it ’ s a couple of the river that seem to yield with! Leon Sylvester for CBS Connecticut ( click here ) how few fish I marked on my legs lie! Sound, the quality of the river without marking so much as dot. Tonic like the water, LLC equipment that has been a trickier time to find schools up a... Plates in the river for too long a long cast, a schools. Park closes on Septeber 30th but may stay open later for fishing, 5-ounce after. Fish — maybe 2-3/4, tide changes can play a very good trout fishery took advantage of the and... Fishing Map for more info top of the big jig river Fly fishing &. Watch mode before I got into out in the > 5 # Class patterns on.... Some iced-up rod guides, there is no standard vessel of choice much as a dot on the.. * no fishing allowed from June 15 to August 15 within 100 of. Sure I ’ ve even caught a bass on it there this season schools in the.... Up from top to bottom with that said, you need a good net,. Is also known for its white-water rafting in, I headed for the sound, getting an ultrasound my... Fall run dwindles and the current started to head downriver along with the change in environment the fish the... Of life up with a night crawler, Richard recently caught a bass on it there this season river.