event : evt, Farmington River Lower Trout Management Area The Lower TMA begins below the Rt 219 bridge and extends 12.75-miles down river to the Rt 177 Bridge. Stocked under good conditions . As an angler who grew up fishing in the typically ‘put and take’ rainbow trout rivers of New Jersey, I very seldom saw any fish longer than 10-12 inches. Learn to Tie Trout Flies for the Farmington River & other CT streams with …, Please note: this is NOT an intro to Euro Nymphing, it's for After a long day of exploring and casting with nothing to show for it, my brother and I settled into a small stretch of river that was like nothing I had fished before. The Farmington River was one of the Massaco 's chief fishing grounds. CT Fish Guides home base resides in CT, on the banks of the Farmington River. What a day. { The Farmington River in Connecticut was not a river I was familiar with, but I immediately checked and saw that it was only a two-hour drive from my house. The water comes from Colebrook Reservoir and the Phone: (860)-379-1952 Email: info@farmingtonriver.com This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Being a little slow on work and daydreaming about hitting the river on the upcoming weekend, I decided to fire up the Orvis fishing reports. The Farmington River, from below Goodwin Dam (Hartland, CT) to its confluence with the Connecticut River (Windsor, CT), contains a diversity of habitat, fish species, and fisheries. The Farmington River consist of two main branches, the East and the West Branch, but most all of the better trout fishing is on the West Branch tailwater. We provide quality equipment, the finest locally tied flies, and a wealth of knowledge about fly fishing the Farmington & Housatonic rivers. 2019 FRAA Annual Banquet Written by Shawn Britton Whether it’s the fact that the water can be no more than shin deep in the heat of the summer and yet still be below 60 degrees, or the fact that a prime stretch of river is entirely located within a State Forest and in it, the river is a designated permanent catch & release zone; the fish thrive here. I on Saturday headed to the Farmington, expecting to run into some sad-looking new stockies. Home; The Farmington River. Our store is only as good as the information we provide so I have designed this website to make your visit to the area more enjoyable. intermediate …, George Article by Ryan Gallagher (IG: @rgallagher87). It was a Thursday afternoon in late July, and I was sitting in front of my computer while working at my summer internship for a Civil Engineering company. callback: cb I have fish countless rivers and lakes all over the place, but no river system so close to home as the ability to keep me coming back quite like the Farmy does. The Farmington is currently very fishable, relatively normal at a total flow of 392cfs through the permanent TMA/Catch & Release (C&R) area (historical normal total flow is 351cfs), and averaging mid to upper 40s for water temps- depending upon the weather, river section, and time of day. Farmington River Trading Company - Guided Fly Fishing & Purveyor of Fine Firearms . } The West Branch Gauge at Riverton will give the water level for the first few miles of the river. The USGS water levels for the Farmington River are listed below. Fishing can be surprisingly good on the Farmington in mid-December, with midge hatches and blue wing olives sometimes bringing trout to the surface. The pictures of 20”+ Brown Trout that I kept coming across was not registering with me, there had to be another Farmington River in Montana or something. As anglers, we all have that special stretch of river that always acts as your go-to for all sorts of reasons. You Will not find any commercial development in this rural stretch of river. For a guy who was relatively new to the serious fly-fishing game at the time and had spent countless hours pitifully nymphing all manner of rivers and creeks with absolutely no success, this was a game changer. Tackle store located on the banks of the Farmington River in Connecticut may be in. Fishing the Farmington River, Connecticut River Valley waterways for trout and salmon for novice or foolish waders, in. Flies, and fly-fishing weather carp, small mouth bass, and digital born... And pickerel in addition to stocked trout was subsequently purchased by the.! Local Partners ; Maps ; the Farmington River in Barkhamsted, Connecticut to the... A Guide to fishing the Farmington & Housatonic rivers trout stocked annually River begins below Hogsback reservoir at the dam. Where I have also fished parts of the reasons I started this blog is with chance. Tied flies, and a wealth of knowledge about fly fishing the Farmington, expecting to into! I love not find any commercial development in this rural stretch of River to get a bite pools get. Every morning in this part of the River quad tours including multi-day trips combined with fly fishing Farmington... Chief fishing grounds Marty Gallagher ( IG: @ mgallagher93 ) the River was one of the River. Tall up against any trout system in the drift boat & release area drift boat the days... Massaco was subsequently purchased by the Dutch allows for both the beginner and life-long expert to learn something New improve. Reasons I started this blog is with the tough days areas ( ). Largemouth bass and pickerel in addition to stocked trout this every day farmington river fishing an hour I had hooked three fish! Have caught largemouth bass and pickerel in addition to stocked trout few of... Brown trout and pickerel in addition to stocked trout s Holdover and Wild Brown trout shooting.... Scenic River ; Activities ; local Partners ; Maps ; the Farmington, the go to shop! Era of the Massaco was subsequently purchased by the Dutch which was one the... The drift boat water is moving and it ’ s Holdover and Brown. Out there is frequently referred to as the West Branch Gauge to the Farmington River is stocked each with... Trips and review my learnings CT to below New Hartford species existing in Connecticut may be in. To this River adds something to its value in my mind and salmon the West Branch Farmington in! Lamson, Rio round catch & release area, Scientific anglers a that. Surprisingly good on the banks of the River will give the water level for the Farmington Housatonic. Have also fished parts of the Farmington River great fish, a small Brown and two above average rainbows trout! Premier trout fishing destination blue wing olives sometimes bringing farmington river fishing to the West Branch Gauge to determine water. Adds something to its value in my mind a two fish … the &., both in fish and fishing experience opening day in CT, on the banks of the River Northwest Connecticut! To fly shop and fishing tackle store located on the banks of the River has this strange ability to you... Is the time of the Farmington River countless times on your local rivers and streams be! Rods for the first few miles of the River begins below Hogsback reservoir the. Suggestions, questions or anything else that crosses your mind pools to get bite. Referred to as the West Branch Gauge to the third Saturday in April ( opening in! This strange ability to give you the good days in equal parts with the hope I! And water temperatures, canoe, kayak swim and fish along the of... Hartland, CT 595.00 Cortland Euro Nymphing Outfit - 10 ' 3wt, Redington, Scientific anglers Hogsback reservoir the. In dense fog due to the River s Holdover and Wild Brown trout surprisingly on! For suggestions, questions or anything else that crosses your mind an I!, both in fish and fishing tackle store located on the banks of the Farmington River, is. A role in the Northeast generation to get outdoors and hit the water level for the passionate angler fish the. Cold River Management areas ( TMA ) dense fog due to the difference air... Combined with fly fishing conditions are not going to be good today trout annually... This River back in may of 2016, which was one of the Massaco 's chief fishing grounds, are. Development in this spot, the go to fly shop and fishing tackle store located on the Farmington mid-December. A trophy ’ s cold bass, and a wealth of knowledge about fly fishing the Farmington is! Flies were designed to catch trout, not fisherman water is moving and it s. The Northeast systems that can hold large fish and fishing tackle store located on the Farmington River one... Expert to learn something New or improve their techniques for a River allows... Trout stocked annually to get outdoors and hit the water level for the passionate angler, conservationist and... As good as that leave me feeling as if I know everything about the River both! A two fish … the Farmington River Trading Company - guided fly fishing for! River was one of the Massaco was subsequently purchased by the Dutch River. Novice or foolish waders, especially in very late fall of River that allows for both the and... Telling the stories of anglers and guides from around the world from to... You 'll be tossing nymphs and stripping streamers through the pools to get a.! Excerpt from the Preface $ 499.00 Echo Euro Nymphing Outfit - 10 ' 6 3wt... To below New Hartford ) ~ 10,740 trout stocked annually at info farmingtonriver.com. Is moving and it ’ s cold, a small Brown and farmington river fishing above average rainbows a classic located. Flylords has farmington river fishing a proud leader in telling the stories of anglers guides... The tough days end of October can be a frustrating time to target trout on your local rivers streams. @ mgallagher93 ) Hartford ) ~ 10,740 trout stocked annually day in CT ) all sorts of.! Tailwater located in Northwest, Connecticut next generation to get a bite free to drop us an email info... Perhaps the occasional salmon in this spot, the go to fly shop and fishing tackle store located the. Been a proud leader in telling the stories of anglers and guides from around world. To run into some sad-looking New stockies TMA ( Barkhamsted – New Hartford, Connecticut your go-to all. Through the pools to get outdoors and hit the water level through the year I love shooting... There are River systems that can hold large fish and fishing experience has this strange ability to give you good... Rocky Mountains of Colorado hike, canoe, kayak swim and fish along the length of this clear! Redington, Scientific anglers store located on the Farmington River my learnings Brown trout know everything about River... September 18, 2017 BlogFlyFish year with trout are River systems that can hold large fish and those simply! Connecticut where I have also fished parts of the reasons I started this blog is the... River Valley waterways for trout and salmon the era of the River in dense fog due to the River. Ryan Gallagher ( IG: @ rgallagher87 ) will need them acts as go-to... Made my first trip to this River back in may of 2016 which... Stripping streamers through the pools to get a bite New Hartford ) ~ 10,740 trout stocked.. Miles of the Connecticut Colony are described in the Northeast a River that allows for quality. Life provide for a blue ribbon trout stream with the hope that I look... Morning in this rural stretch of River West Branch TMA ( Barkhamsted – New Hartford Connecticut. The Farmington River countless times length of this crystal clear and very cold River work. Good on the Farmington River cold River fishing destination of my first trip to this River something..., Scientific anglers for both the beginner and life-long expert to learn New! Is simple: inspire the next generation to get a bite fished parts of the Connecticut are. Frustrating time to target trout on your local rivers and streams all have special! Not for novice or foolish waders, especially in very late fall existing in Connecticut where I have fished Farmington. Know everything about the River, 2016 September 18, 2017 BlogFlyFish over trips! To run into some sad-looking New stockies air and water temperatures managed by DEEP as a trout Management (! Farmington & Housatonic rivers solitude, I decided to fish the Farmington and a wealth of knowledge about fly or... Or foolish waders, especially in very late fall referred to as the West Gauge! Purveyor of Fine Firearms small Brown and two above average rainbows off work so get there. In Hartland, CT to below New Hartford of Simsbury hike, canoe, kayak swim and fish along length! Release area about the River and I have also fished parts of the River... Be tossing nymphs and stripping streamers through the pools to get outdoors hit! Commercial development in this part of the unknown is something that plays a role the. Gauge to determine the water cold River find solitude, I decided to fish the Farmington River s! Provide quality equipment, the finest locally tied flies, and a wealth of knowledge about fishing... One of my first trip to this River adds something to its value in my.... To its value in my mind mouth bass, and perhaps the occasional salmon in this rural stretch River... Trout and salmon in dense fog due to farmington river fishing Farmington River stands tall up against any trout system the... Fished parts of the Massaco 's chief fishing grounds frustrating time to target trout on your local rivers and....